The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Mail Scanning would be better?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by vlee, Aug 4, 2012.

1. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Which Mail Scanning would be better?

I am trying to make up my mind up between different mail scanning tools for cPanel/WHM.

This has to be stable without spending hardly any time with it after it is installed and have easy to understand user frontend features for the user to use for users own domains.

Plus I do not want to spend a ton of money for it.

I am not trying to bash here just want good solid feedback from everyone. Also feel free to add other related mail scanning tools that are not listed below.

1. cPanel MailScanner Service - ConfigServer MailScanner Service

I heard a lot of good and bad things about MailScanner Service.

Good Things: ???

Bad Things and Concerns: I heard that it is not compatible with the new version of Exim exim-4.77-1 and if it breaks there is bad support and you had to pay for the support.

2. MagicSpam PRO for WHM/cPanel (Spam Protection) - MagicSpam Home Page - Spam Protection Done Right!

I do not know much about this one but it looks like something to look in to.

Good Things: ???

Bad Things and Concerns: That there is not much to go on besides a video for the backend. I am just concerned without seeing the front for cPanel clients if any that it may not fit the needs.

3. ASSP Deluxe for cPanel - ASSP Deluxe for cpanel : ASSP how to for cpanel , cpanel antispam and antivirus , WHM addon , vps antispam solution, smtp proxy antispam, email antivirus

I used this for a year and I am will not use them again.

Good Things: it worked for a while for like 6 months

Bad Things and Concerns: Started to be very unstable due cPanel updates, PCI Compliance changes and its own constant software updates and changes which I always had to manually do due the fact the automated part did not work at all. Plus I had manually restart server services every other day which got very annoying.

4. The Standard cPanel/WHM Protection with ClamAV installed

Good Things: it works but I feel it can do better which I currently use now

Bad Things and Concerns: My main concern with this that it can perform better in catching spam, viruses and phishing email without causing false negatives

2. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do you all think of the information of the first post?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since this is the weekend and the initial post was made today, I'd wait a bit longer for other users' input. Such as a week for responses would be good.

I believe your current synopsis is good. ClamAV is stable, which is why we provide it. We don't recommend any of the others on the part of cPanel itself. Some people staunchly stick by Mailscanner, but we ask it be uninstalled when email issues occur for tickets, so be aware of that fact when considering using it.

I'd actually also suggest possibly going to the exim mailing list to ask this question there (not with a breakdown of all the possible ones to use but asking them what works best in conjunction with exim for scanning incoming and/or outgoing mails for malicious content).

Thanks!

4. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you cPanelTristan for the comments. If you want to move this topic to the right subject then go ahead.

I got interested when I saw this MagicSpam PRO for WHM/cPanel (Spam Protection) here MagicSpam PRO for WHM/cPanel (Spam Protection) | cPanel App Catalog for the fact when it said this And there is no need to change MX records, configurations, or settings to make it work. Sounds more better to me for the fact it will not change my current settings but just enhance them for better performance.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Veldon,

I wasn't suggesting moving the topic, but for also posting on exim's mailing list:

Mailing lists for Exim

exim users list is the one where you can ask questions on what works best with exim and might be the most efficacious. They know their stuff on that list.

Thanks!

6. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Ok thank you cPanelTristan.

Anyway I do welcome comments to the current thread too.