The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which OS for my server?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by BraveX, Feb 23, 2009.

1. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

I'm about to set up a new server with the Planet. It's a Dual Xeon and will have cPanel and Fantastico. I have the choice of several operating systems and was wondering what you think is best?

RHE Linux 4x 32 bit
    RHE Linux 4x 64 bit
    RHE Linux 5x 32 bit
    RHE Linux 5x 64 bit

My gut instinct is to go with the latest one. But not sure what the difference is between 32 and 64 bits or why they matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Difference b/w 32 and 64 bit architectures is same as b/w a 4 lane and 8 lane highway. An 8 lane highway will accommodate more traffic at peak time but you have to know if your neighbourhood is ever going to have this much traffic. A 64 bit processor with RHEL5 64 bit would be be best in performance but will cost you more than a 32 bit setup. It all depends on your needs.

#2 JawadArshad, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    RHE 4 - 32 bit
    Most mature stable and tested option.
    If you don't run a large mysql database and will never need >~ 3.7 gigs of ram this is a good option because it will use less ram per process then the 64 bit version.
    Support of this version will expire way before RHE 5

RHE 4 - 64 bit
    If you need to run a large mysql database or need more then ~ 3.7 gigs of ram you should choose this option.
    Support of this version will expire way before RHE 5
    There are still some random dependency problems that pop up with yum because of the dual i386/x86_64 packages, but they are easily overcome.

RHE 5 - 64 bit
    If you don't run a large mysql database and will never need >~ 3.7 gigs of ram this is a good option because it will use less ram per process then the 64 bit version.
    Will be supported longer then RHE 4
    Had a bug in /bin/pwd that required lower security on home directories (this has mostly been resolved): http://blog.cpanel.net/?p=50

RHE 5 - 64 bit
    If you need to run a large mysql database or need more then ~ 3.7 gigs of ram you should choose this option.
    There are still some random dependency problems that pop up with yum because of the dual i386/x86_64 packages, but they are easily overcome.
    Will be supported longer then RHE 4
    Had a bug in /bin/pwd that required lower security on home directories (this has mostly been resolved): http://blog.cpanel.net/?p=50

4. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Many thanks!

5. mike1s

mike1s Member

If you can, I would use CentOS 5