The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which OS for new server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remon, Feb 5, 2004.

?

Which OS do you recommend for a new cpanel server?

1. FreeBSD 4.8

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. FreeBSD 5.0

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. FreeBSD 5.1

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Suse 8.2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Suse 9.0

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Redhat Fedora

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  7. Mandrake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Trustix

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Remon

Remon Member

Hi all,

I just ordered a new server but what OS would you recommend for cpanel at the moment? I don't want to buy RH enterprise. Which OS has the least problems with cpanel?

I was thinking about FreeBSD 4.9 but it seems cpanel doesn't support it anymore (cpanel homepage).

Thanks in advance!

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

cPanel, last i check do offer 4.9 support, just for whatever reason they forgot to add it to the list and have't since.. dunno why? maybe contact them to be sure.

Anyways, if your going for bsd then i'd go:
    4.9 for single CPU machine or 5.1 for dual cpu. I hear it has better handleing for dual procs.. but keep in mind it is a technology release. Thats my 2 cents.

3. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

LInux. Redhat is the best you can install. Fedora Legacy is providing kernel updates, the rest you will get from WHM so it shuld still be good.

Maybe Trutix is running good, Fedora probebly also, but I think distrubution is not as good as RedHat versions.

RedHat 9.0 is most likly the best thing still. On my next serverinstall I would like to try Trustix, is a conservative dedicated server "RedHat" distro, so it shuld be safe.