The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which OS is the best at this time ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostbox.be, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Hostbox.be

Hostbox.be Well-Known Member

Hi all,

which OS should I choose for a smooth interaction with cpanel ?

I have had Redhat 7.3 and now I am running Redhat 8, but I begin to experience problems with cpanel.... eximstats fails, mysql not working with a fresh installation, installation even fails, etc... I see also that Redhat 8 is not longer in the list of supported platforms of cpanel ? Only 7.3 and 9, strange, does somebody know why ?

So today I installed Redhat Enterprise Linux v3 on a server and then I tried to install cpanel, but many things go wrong. Cpanels uses up2date function of Redhat and to get that working on a Enterprise box, you need to buy a support contract for the Redhat Network. And I want to keep my OS free if possible....

So, what OS should I choose ? I want stability, an OS with a long lifecycle that is fully supported by cpanel, an OS with a future... and keep in mind that I am used to work with Redhat. Should I go for Redhat 9 or Centos or Fedora or should I pay for an Enterprise support contract ? Has anyone done that already, paid for Redhat Enterprise Linux and how do you do that exactly and what is the price / year ?

Please give me some advise, because I want to upgrade as soon as possible because the current Redhat 8 and cpanel are not working great anymore.

Thank you very much !

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

CentOS is RHE3 without the copyrighted redhat logos and the RHN support... (but you can get the updates through yum). So I'd go with that if you want free.

I got RHE3 (with an RHN subscription, etc) through my datacenter - with my server.

3. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

Centos 3.4 Runs sweet on the new chipset machines with cpanel.

4. krisdv

krisdv Well-Known Member

We had one of our servers RH9 upgraded yesterday to CEntOS 3.4 and are already running CentOS on 2 other cpanel servers. The last server on RH8 will be upgraded today.

5. projectandrew

projectandrew Well-Known Member

I don't think redhat 8 was around for very long was it? Mabey thats why 9 came out so quickly... I've never come across hosting advertised on redhat 8 - only 7.3 or 9.

I've heard CentOS is a good one to go for, since it follows along with RHE - fedora releases are around every 6 months which is too short a time span to support properly. I've heard there are problems with cPanel & Fedora Core 3.

6. CamronFry

CamronFry BANNED

7. projectandrew

projectandrew Well-Known Member

As CentOS-3.4 has only just come out, I doubt that they have updated that page yet - could be wrong...

8. cpeden

cpeden Member

I use FreeBSD STABLE branch and its rock solid.

9. cz1179

cz1179 BANNED

I've used:

Enterprise 3.3
    CentOS 3.3
    Fedora Core 1
    Fedora Core 2

The best results are obviously from the paid OS, Enterprise. However, aside from some occasional mirror issues - CentOS is great. Haven't tried 3.4 yet but anyone know how to upgrade to 3.4 from 3.3? Is that the yum update? I've honestly never updated OS from one version to another, yet.

10. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Amen to that brother... Another satisfied FreeBSD user! :D

11. casey

casey Well-Known Member

It works fine. I have it on 3 servers and many others have it on theirs.