Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

which ports to open/close for a standard web server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little guidance.

I'm in the process of setting up a 2 new web development servers here in Perth, Western Australia. Both web servers will be running CentOS, and cPanel+WHM. One is a dedicated server for a single client, the other can expect to host multiple websites for a range of clients with varying needs. Historically I've only ever rented pre-installed, pre-configured cPanel+WHM boxes from US data centres, so this initial 'hands-on' setup is new to me :)

Both servers will be protected by a single hardware firewall / switch box. In addition, both servers will have the apf software firewall installed and configured. Some might think that having a hardware firewall AND a software firewall is overkill, but
    a) I like the idea that if one fails (for whatever reason) I've got a second line of defence
    b) If the truth be told, very shortly we also plan to have another server - a Windows server - in the same rack, and protected by the same hardware firewall (prob. running Zone Alarm pro as the software firewall bit). The Windows server will be offering a remote backup service, and will prob. not host any websites. But I digress...

My question: (forgetting the Windows box) which ports is it reasonable that I should open on the hardware firewall for the CentOS boxes for the general purpose web serving running cPanel+WHM?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 spaceman, Jan 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  2. gupi

gupi Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spaceman

nice. thanks. should have thought of that... :)

4. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

Another good place is in the instructions for install APF. They list all the ports there.

5. tuxdesk

tuxdesk Well-Known Member

6. spaceman

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member