The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Server would be better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WestBend, Feb 4, 2006.

1. WestBend

WestBend Well-Known Member

Dell Server with an Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz Processor
    2 GB DDR RAM
    2 x 160 GB SATA Drive

2 X AMD Athlon MP 2600 Processor
    2GB Registered PC2100 Memory
    2 X 80 GB Hard Drive

Ignoring the differences in HD space. Which server is likely to do better for the following :

Wordpress Blog Software, MySQL, CPanel, and Either RHEL 3 or 4?
    I have the usual Mail Scanner, APF, BFD, MRTG mod_evasive, mod_sec (medium level) services. Apache 1.3

Any advice is appreciated. Currently I have two of the dual athalons in production and each is able to handle about 80 accounts on it which seems very under utilized however both servers hover around a load of 2 and can go up to the 20's during the day.

Edit :
    Intel® Pentium® Processors
    Single Core and Dual Core Processors
    PC4200 DDR2 Registered Memory
    7200RPM SATA Hard Drives

AMD Athlon™ MP Processors
    PC2100 DDR Registered Memory
    IDE Hard Drives

#1 WestBend, Feb 4, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

No doubt, "Dell Server with an Intel Pentium D 3.0GHz Processor" is better that "Athlon" as well as you can install all the things you have specified in the post. You can go with RHEL4 as there is a addition of "SeLinux" which makes it more secure but if you are not familar with it better you go with RHEL3 or disable that option while installation of 4.

Also you can think of CentOS 4.1 as it is very much flexible with Cpanel.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm more inclined to go with the AMD model, you will find the AMD's run cooler on average and do not heat up as much.

You more than likely will get a 50/50 split between what people prefer as the debates on AMD and Intel are many.

AMD will have no trouble running the required software you mentioned.

Unless your current servers are optimized properly even the intel will have those same problems if not properly maintained and tweaked. That said, the amount of clients is irrelevant it's the amount of work those clients are doing, 80 clients running intense DB/dynamic sites and such will require more power than clients running purely static sites.

4. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

I'm for AMD too.

Check performance tests here http://www.tomshardware.com/

And as I see there are two Athlons. No doubt that two MP Athlons will have better performance compared to one Pentium D.

5. WestBend

Thanks I appreciate the input!

I read a post on here in the last day from Chirpy that CentOS 4.1 x64 has issues with CPanel which is why I have not considered that and unfortunately my noc has yet to come out with a x64 build of RHEL otherwise I have the options of :
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor
    2 GB DDR RAM

It doesent seem to make much sense to get 64 and put a 32bit OS on it and upgrade later or will the 32bit stil be able to make use of the dual core. Will this be the equivalent of the dual MP 2600?

I went to toms hardware and just confused myself further.. lol

thanks for any help!

#5 WestBend, Feb 5, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  6. marsupillami

marsupillami Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If possible, go with that X2. Otherwise the Pentium D. Athlon MP has already some years, and Opteron has substituted it. Also, take in consideration the mainboard used. There are some cheap chipsets, that may give you some stability problems, when considering server usage.

Also x64 will not give you a big performance increase. Maybe between 0 and 10% max over the 32 bits version. However, the 64 bits may give you some headaches as well, if you´re not experienced with linux.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. I would definitely not recommend using a 64bit OS. The advatages are negligable at present and the very real potential for problems means that you're very likely to have things break because of the way the linux OS vendors have thus far implemented the dual nature of 32/64 bit libraries.

8. WestBend

The mainboard is Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865
    Any experience with those?

9. MMarko

MMarko Well-Known Member

Well so far CentOS 3.6 x86_64 works just fine with latest stable cPanel / WHM on our production server. Processor is AMD64 3000+.