Which servers are connected to my DNS Cluster?

Kent Brockman

Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As a sysadmin, I need to know what IPs/hostnames are connected to a cluster and if they are Syncronizing Changes, Write-Only, or Standalone. This is useful cause we manage LOTS of servers in our network and awareness of what servers are in the cluster is not a cPanel feature. I guess it must be some readable records on the DNS Only side. Isn't it?

Thanks in advance!

Kent Brockman

Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Nope, it's not. When you go to DNS Cluster menu on a DNS Only, it doesn't show the servers belonging to that cluster because are those servers which connect to the DNS Only, and not otherwise. Provided that you don't connect to the servers FROM the DNS Only machine, you don't get a real (visual) clue of what servers are connected to it, and that it's a bit puzzling when you want to be sure if any server that should have been decomissioned is actually still connected.

So, that's why I ask you this. Is there any way to know for sure, from a DNS Only server, what servers are connected to it?

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
It does, but only from the webserver, not the DNSOnly servers - the idea being that you'd want to check this on your webservers for a full understanding of the cluster map. If you think this could be improved upon though I'd encourage you to open a feature request using the link in my signature. Once it's open post the link to the request here so others can view and vote on it.

Kent Brockman

Jan 20, 2008
Buenos Aires, Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, I'll do that, cause the current state of the cluster map is that every member of the cluster just show you to what servers is connceted, which is fine. But when you check this from the DNS Only servers, as a sysadmin, would want to see what servers are connected to it. That would help troubleshoot DNS synchronization issues if you can see that some of the hundreds of servers are not connected to that DNS Only server. It also will help to have some sort of real time report/idea of how many members are in the cluster for administrative purposes.

Reactions: cPanelLauren