The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which SSL certificate for Mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pjpsoft, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pjpsoft

pjpsoft Member

Hi,

I'm looking for an SSL solution for my mail services without any need for https
    Until now I was using self signed certificat but it gives the famous untrustable error
    I'd like to know :
    - if I need a simple certificat or a wildcard one
    - if anybody has a recommendation for a very cheap solution (free?)

thanks

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    You may use an SSL certificate good for either the server hostname (i.e., server.domain.tld), or a wildcard SSL certificate that is valid for any sub-domain of the parent domain used in the hostname (e.g., *.domain.tld); either type can work. It is possible that an installed SSL certificate uses a different parent domain name than the hostname, but to reduce the complexity involved in remembering which domain name to use, I recommend using a domain name for SSL that matches your server hostname, or in the case of wildcard SSL, a parent domain name that matches the server hostname.

Purchasing an SSL certificate will avoid a security warning being displayed to visitors provided they are accessing the server via a domain included in the SSL certificate, such as the server hostname and not just a domain in one of the hosted cPanel user accounts. After the SSL certificate is installed, ensure that your users access SMTP, POP3, IMAP, or webmail using the correct domain name that is in the SSL certificate.

Reference menu path and documentation for WebHost Manager to manage service SSL certificates, including SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and cPanel/WHM/Webmail: WHM: Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates

#2 cPanelDon, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. delphig

delphig Registered

Is the CSR we use for services the one for the hostname i.e. server.domainname.com
    Then just install it Manage Service SSL Certificates ?

Thanks

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The CSR for the hostname would be the one you would use for services such as email, correct. You'd want to use that CSR to purchase the certificate and then install the certificate for the various services in WHM > Manage Service SSL Certificates area.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Thanks.