The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which user is causing the (cpanel) Failed cPanel login

Discussion in 'Security' started by lockefaltaba, Nov 16, 2012.

1. lockefaltaba

lockefaltaba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi.

Does anybody know if I may have some configuration in CSF/LFD to be able to see the user who made so many failed logins that the IP was blocked ?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not in CSF but in the /usr/local/cpanel/logs/login_log you should see the failed login. Try logging in as any user with the wrong password or edit the username a letter or two, and then check that log for your IP address. You should see something like this:
    Is that the real user? How would you know unless you knew all your valid users IP addresses from wherever they might login from.

3. lockefaltaba

lockefaltaba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you propose there's no other solution than doing a correlation between CPanel logs and lfd logs ?
    I always thought there would be an lfd configuration to catch the http request or so to be able to see the user who failed the login.

- - - Updated - - -

So you propose there's no other solution than doing a correlation between CPanel logs and lfd logs ?
    I always thought there would be an lfd configuration to catch the http request or so to be able to see the user who failed the login.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is, and LFD will block if configured to, and email you, if configured. If you want to go look at those after the fact which it sounds like in this post:
    Then you'll need to look at the log.

5. lockefaltaba

lockefaltaba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As for the email, no need, we would be 24/7 receiving alerts as LFD as indeed the blocking itself it's working. However I still haven't been able to find the LFD option to add the failed user to the logs. ....not quite sure if we are understanding each other :)