The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which version of CentOS is best for cPanel Server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edlemmers, Feb 3, 2016.

1. edlemmers

edlemmers Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Building a new WHM/cPanel server. Plenty of hardware: Dell R710 with pair of quad-core Xeon procossors and 24 Gigs of RAM to start with lots of open slots. So that is not limiting factor. I see there are major structural changes to CentOS 7. With test install noticed a little goofiness with CentOS 7 such as strange comment about not having accepted license yet with no apparent way to do that. Figured out how to get around that with a little research, but this did not give me a sense of great confidence in the new version. Granted, the install finished overnight and there may have been something presented that I was not around to respond to. Also quickly discovered that the new systemd no longer has ifconfig command. But having said all that, I did see a post indicating that cPanel is not fighting these changes as neither are any of the Linux flavors. So I assume there is reason behind these decisions and that eventually everything will work out. So what should I install in this new server: CentOS 6.7 or CentOS 7?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest installing a minimal instance of CentOS 7 and then installing cPanel. CentOS 6 is stable, but CentOS 7 is stable and more future-proof in my opinion, especially if it's a single-server operation.

Thank you.

3. edlemmers

edlemmers Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, thank you.