The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which version of CloudLinux should I choose?

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by Metro2, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been doing as much reading as possible on the CloudLinux site documentation and forums and I'm really having trouble deciding which version of CL to choose for my new server.

I currently have all RHEL 5 servers and so it's definitely time for new servers, and my plan is to purchase new servers with CL 6 or 7 and begin migrating my customers from the old RHEL boxes to the new CL boxes.

It's small shared hosting business that I've been running myself for years, and it's my entire livelihood, so I'm afraid of making the wrong choice (like I did 3 years ago when I chose RHEL 5 instead of RHEL 6). And though its a small biz, my customers have resource intensive accounts (large databases, lots of PHP scripts and e-commerce shopping carts, high numbers of files stored in each account).

Can anyone please give your opinions on whether I should choose CL 6.7 or CL 7.1 for my new cPanel boxes that I provide shared hosting on?

I'd really appreciate any responses at all, even if it's just opinions.

Thank you!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

While both are fully supported, I suggest using CL 7.x for longevity if you plan on operating these servers on the same OS for several years.

Thank you.

Metro2 likes this.
  3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the reply cPanelMichael!

Interestingly enough, I got an email reply directly from Vladimir at CloudLinux right about the same time you replied to this, and he said:

"Hello,
    CloudLinux 7 has production quality but in order to provide more stable environment we recommend to use CL6."

So now I'm almost as unsure as when I started :confused:

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can take both answers into consideration. You may have a more stable environment in the short term, but long-term Cloud Linux 7.x might be a better option if you plan on keeping your servers operating for extended periods of time.

Thank you.

Metro2 likes this.