Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Which way to start? Cloudlinux vs Centos + WHM

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by EneTar, Apr 18, 2019.

1. EneTar

EneTar Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have purchased a dedicated server on OVH and I want to install Cloudlinux 7 and cPanel/WHM.

Questions:

1) Which template of OVH should I use? Cloudlinux 7 and then manually install cPanel/Whm? Or Centos 7 with cPanel template and then manually convert to Cloudlinux 7? Unfortunately there is not any template for cloudlinux 7 with cPanel/WHM.

2) I would like to use the same hostname I already have by moving everything to the new server. I'm worried about any possible downtimes Is it safe to work on a temporary hostname on the new server and change the hostname as soon as everything is setup?

2. ssfred

ssfred Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @EneTar

1. CloudLinux 7 and then manually installing cPanel/WHM is desired action.
    2. You can set the same hostname as your old one. But if needed, you can also set a temporary hostname and change the hostname later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @EneTar,

1. You can use either template, but starting with the CloudLinux 7 template might result in a quicker overall setup time because the cPanel installation is likely going to finish faster than the CentOS to CloudLinux conversion. You may also want to contact OVH to inquire about offering new templates for CL+cPanel.

2. Check out the "Minimize Your Downtime" tab on this document to see the additional steps you can take to reduce the downtime when the DNS is updated.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    EneTar likes this.