The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which WHM setting cause SMTP email resolve to original sender, not on account used to SMTP auth?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by postcd, May 26, 2016.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2010

from my Gmail account im sending an email via my WHM server SMTP server, email is delivered. Also POP3 works OK, BUT in email headers i see as a Sender to be my gmail account.

So this can either be
    1) a bug in GMail (unlikely, another Google Expert from veriffied my Gmail configuraton is correct and he tried same config only his Hotmail SMTP and his gmail email was not exposed/revealed to the recipient)
    2) my WHM SMTP server (Exim in my case) is configured to somehow reveal/use real email sender (my gmail mailbox) and pass it in the email headers.

My aim is to prevent it so my real email address/sender (gmail) is not revealed in the email headers that recipient can see. At same time i would like this to apply on my email address but other cpanel users continue be excluded (their real sender address be shown in headers as i assume this is some kind of abuse/antispam protection)

Thank You
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Is it showing the specific Gmail address, or is it showing as sent from the specified email address, but mailed by Google? In your Gmail settings, have you configured the correct default email address under "Send mail as:"?

Thank you.