The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitelist and blacklist for specific accounts only

Discussion in 'Security' started by Humza, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Humza

Humza Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A client has asked if there is a way to blacklist all IP's but his to his cPanel account; that is something that would actually be a good feature. As far as I know it does not exist at the moment, or at least to blacklist and whitelist from a specific account. Or is there already a feature which can do this?

2. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

This is not only smart but a needed feature. I also want this. Some users, in particular business want to restrict cPanel access only to their office IP, and this is requested for FTP as well.

As far as I know there is no such feature. What is worst is that cPanel is very lacking in this terms in security.

For example what happens if a client wants to see if there where unauthorized access to his cPanel account? He can´t.

All that cPanel lists is the last IP from which you logged and if this was not so 2005 if you log into the account from WHM as admin, it overwrites this with your IP.

So there is no log security for the client at all, which lets them see by date and time the last users that logged into cPanel. Why? This is such a simple feature, but it does not exists. And with this feature what you asked to restrict access by IP would be very easy, if you mean the website, this can be done already, but I guess you mean the cPanel account.

Instead cPanel is focusing in stuff like Attracta spam plugins....

I recently installed some open source panels they make feel cPanel feel like a cheap dumb version. Even what I said before can be done with this and the configuration they let is just amazing, from personal configurations in SpamAssin, to almost everything, I was shocked on how many features someone can configured from a client side, from email, to even how the Virtual Apache works, even the customer is able to change if he wants to run in DSO, FCGI, which PHP, I mean everything. As admin you can restrict which options he can or not use, this free panel which I will not mention here can even restrict CPU, RAM, etc for each account and even subdomain.

Honestly, what is the cPanel developers team doing lately? There are so many, but many features missing today, you just named one, but in 5 or more years the only new features I saw with cPanel so far is the email tracking message added, and I think 1 or 2 more things.

The only reason I prefer to pay cPanel is because of the support, but without it I don´t even consider the software to be worth its price, in particular lately that I found out you need to add allot of extra paid features in order to have your server safe which means cPanel alone is pretty much useless for shared hosting. At least some basic security features would be nice, and what you mentioned is something I wanted for years now as well.