The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitelist ??

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by peterr, Jun 5, 2007.

1. peterr

peterr Well-Known Member

I'd like to be able to use a whitelist.

1. I know BoxTrapper doesn't work, so that's a no go.

2. I do not want to use Spamassasin, as I currently do not use it, and have no need of it. Besides, I'd still have to go through and check was was spam and what wasn't.

3. From memory, Horde has a whitelist feature, doesn't it ? At present, all email addresses are aliases (set up as fowarders), which go to various email accounts. If the whitelist function in Horde is used, and someone tries to send to a (valid) email address, but the person is not on the Horde whitelist for that email account, is there any way the sender can get a "550" message ???

It would be great if that was possible, but I have a feeling that sort of thing would need to happen at the MTA level ??

2. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

1. Boxtrapper should work, if it doesnt then open a support ticket regarding any issues your having with it.

2. SpamAssassin can be set to discard all suspected spam email, you do not have to verify them.

3. The whitelist feature in Horde will only filter email to the Inbox in Horde as it is a webmail program and does not filter email to accounts or forwarders.

What is the full 550 error message you are getting? and have you checked exim_mainlog for any further errors reported for that email address?

3. peterr

peterr Well-Known Member

Okay, I thought there were problems with it, but I'll ask my hosting provider to add it back to CPanel.

I would still have to check what was "real" spam and what wasn't. Spamassassin is not suitable.

The "550" message is a common one on most email servers, usually of the format:

"550 No Such User Here"

in short, an invalid username.

Will Boxtrapper return a "550" for any person NOT on the whitelist ??

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Boxtrapper = its not that boxtrapper does not work it just a poor solution for Spam

most Spam is sent with forged addresses so you sending a challenge request to what may be a legitimate user who never sent you an email thus you just doubled the Spam. defeats the purpose

and if they file an complaint guess what your IP that the complaint is on. Just think if 100's of users are using boxtraper get bombarded with Spam guess what IP gets blacklisted ? that's right yours

that's probably why your host disabled it

5. peterr

peterr Well-Known Member

I realise the problem/s that forged addresses cause. ;)

I was hoping that Boxtrapper would work at the MTA level, and 'cause' a 550 message to anyone not on the whitelist, but it obviously cannot do that.

Thanks for your help. :)

6. peterr

peterr Well-Known Member

Is there any method that can be used, for a whitelist to be the basis of any 550 ?

That is, if the sender is not on the whitelist, then cause a 550. ;)

7. peterr

peterr Well-Known Member

Would ASSP, discussed here be a possible solution ?