The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM 11.38 new backup - restore to new database

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by outpostmm, Jul 2, 2013.

1. outpostmm

outpostmm Member

Hello,

I have a client who deleted some data from their database that they shouldn't have, and now need it restored. Is there a way using the new backup system in 11.38 where I can restore only the backed up database to a new database? I don't want to restore to their live database and overwrite everything, I just want to take what is missing and add it back to their live database. I'd like to avoid having to download the 54GB backup file if possible, but I've already started that download. 8 hours left for the transfer. It would probably be faster to copy the backup file to another drive on the server, decompress it there, and find the SQL files to create a new database, but I'm not sure if there is a way through WHM to automate the restore to a new database or new account.

Thanks

2. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

If you look in the back up file there will be a folder called 'mysql'. In there you should find a files using the naming conventions...

UserName_DatabaseName.create
    UserName_DatabaseName.sql

The first has the SQL to create all of the tables as of that back up and the second contains all of the SQL to populate the tables. Copy/paste as needed into MySQLAdmin and you should be good to go.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The database dump is included with the account backup archive. You can find the database dump within the "mysql" directory of the account backup archive. You can attempt to manually import the data from the SQL dump file into your database to avoid overwriting the existing data.

Note: You can also obtain a full copy of the MySQL data directory if you have "Entire MySQL Directory" enabled in your backup configuration.

Thank you.