Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

WHM 70.0.44 You must reboot the server to apply kernel updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gfserver, May 24, 2018.

1. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, I updated kernel (yum -y update) and I'm getting the banner "You must reboot the server to apply kernel updates" in my WHM/cPanel 70.0.44.

When I do a graceful reboot the system is not booting, I have to stop it via proxmox, start it again and select the second kernel in the console because if I select the first one the console indicates Kernel Panic.

Also I'm getting this in my email:

"The system kernel is at version “3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64”, but the system is configured to boot version “3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64”. Reboot the system. If the problem persists, check the GRUB boot configuration. "

I'm using KernelCare Free

Here I post some command outputs:
    Code:
    yum update kernel
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, universal-hooks
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    epel/x86_64/metalink                                                                                                                         |  19 kB  00:00:00
     * EA4: 50.115.17.252
     * cpanel-addons-production-feed: 50.115.17.252
     * base: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
     * epel: mirror.compevo.com
     * extras: repos-va.psychz.net
     * updates: mirror.compevo.com
    EA4                                                                                                                                          | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
    cpanel-addons-production-feed                                                                                                                | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
    MariaDB101                                                                                                                                   | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
    base                                                                                                                                         | 3.6 kB  00:00:00
    cpanel-plugins                                                                                                                               | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
    extras                                                                                                                                       | 3.4 kB  00:00:00
    kernelcare                                                                                                                                   | 2.6 kB  00:00:00
    nginx                                                                                                                                        | 2.9 kB  00:00:00
    updates                                                                                                                                      | 3.4 kB  00:00:00
    varnishcache_varnish5/x86_64/signature                                                                                                       |  836 B  00:00:00
    varnishcache_varnish5/x86_64/signature                                                                                                       | 1.0 kB  00:00:00 !!!
    varnishcache_varnish5-source/signature                                                                                                       |  836 B  00:00:00
    varnishcache_varnish5-source/signature                                                                                                       | 1.0 kB  00:00:00 !!!
    No packages marked for update

--------------------------------------

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl -e 'use Cpanel::Kernel::Status; use Data::Dumper; my $kernel = Cpanel::Kernel::Status::kernel_status(); print Dumper \$kernel;'
    $VAR1 = \{
                'running_version' => '3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64',
                'reboot_required' => 1,
                'has_kernelcare' => 0,
                'boot_version' => '3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64'
              };

----------------------------------------

/usr/bin/kcarectl --info
    kpatch-state: patch is applied
    kpatch-for: Linux version 3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64 (builder@kbuilder.dev.centos.org) (gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-28) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed May 9 18:05:47 UTC 2018
    kpatch-build-time: Tue May 15 03:06:59 2018
    kpatch-description: 1-free;

-----------------------------------------
     uname -r
    3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64
    -----------------------------------------

Any ideas please?

How can I get rid of this?

Thanks!

#1 gfserver, May 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @gfserver

This is occurring because you're not booting into the newest kernel. I think ultimately you'll need to address the cause of the kernel panic before you'll stop seeing this. dmesg and /var/log/messages should be pretty useful in assisting with this but ultimately I would suggest contacting your provider or system administrator for this. If you don't have a system administrator you might find one here: Resources | cPanel Forums

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelLauren , thanks very much for your answer.

I really don't know what to do, how to reboot with the right kernel version and I don't have a system administrator.

I checked /var/log/dmesg and I can't find anything to work around.

What about "check the GRUB boot configuration"?

Is there a way to move the right kernel version to default?

As I can see here:

'running_version' => '3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64',
    'reboot_required' => 1,
    'has_kernelcare' => 0,
    'boot_version' => '3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64'

The runing version and the boot version are different.

Thanks !

#3 gfserver, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @gfserver

I don't think the issue is the boot order, the problem is the server is attempting to boot into the correct (new) kernel and it's starting a kernel panic. That's also why you have the discrepancy between boot version and running version. If you're not able to identify the error in dmesg or /var/log/messages you need qualified assistance with this in order to get it resolved. I understand you don't currently have a system administrator, if your provider offers support this would be something that would be best handled by them.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @cPanelLauren , thanks very much

I will contact my data center

Kind regards

6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @gfserver

Great, please let us know the outcome once you have more information!

Thanks!

7. gfserver

gfserver Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sure!, thanks!