The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Access set up with WHM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morphious, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Morphious

Morphious Member

How is it possible, if I don't have root access, to create a new account (with WHM) and let that user also have WHM?

2. coastinc

coastinc Well-Known Member

You have to set them up with Reseller permissions.

If you require further assistance, just drop us an e-mail.

3. Morphious

Morphious Member

Do you need a certain option to do that? You see, I don't run the server so I don't have root access - but my host lets me resell the hosting. He has to set up all accounts that want WHM but since he's not online as much as I am, I'd like to take care of that. I've already talked to him about it but I don't know how to make it so that people have WHM without having him set it up.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You can't. The cpanel setup doesn't allow resellers to create resellers. There's been much discussion about this lately and we have people going both ways, (should and shouldn't be allowed), but one thing that was noticed is that most of those who said it should be allowed are resellers, and most who don't want it are server owners. The reason, if our resellers were also able to create resellers, who knows how many levels deep it can go and how many problems it can cause.

If you have a client who wants to be a reseller, you will have to have your provider set him up.

As a general rule, if someone has many accounts and the need for reseller ability, it's probably time to go dedicated.

5. Morphious

Morphious Member

I think that there should be an option to allow resellers to make more resellers - this way both the server owners and the resellers are happy :)

6. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I don't think so either because I want full control over what goes on my server. Reseller accounts aren't yet being offered through my business but will be soon, and even then, I will not want resellers to be able to create resellers. If they don't want to manage their own server, I would just suggest they get a managed server, which we will also be offering in the near future.

7. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem. If cPanel were setup to allow resellers to add sub-resellers. It's not really all that different than resellers creating accounts in the first place. Of course like any feature the ability to turn it off remains with root. Bottom line is that if it's there, you can choose either to use it or not.