The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM account.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JSBurlison, Feb 18, 2010.

1. JSBurlison

JSBurlison Well-Known Member

I did a search in a WHM manual and came up empty to what I was looking for.

Perhaps I did not search for the right term.

I know the log in that I use has root access.

I did not find thing on various levels of WHM accounts in the users manual about WHM accounts. Just cPanel accounts.

I am wanting to let someone into WHM and see what I have so they can give me some advice but I would prefer not to let them in on my root account.

Is there away for me to create an username and password for less then root access to WHM so they can see what I have going on?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It is possible to setup a reseller account and give that reseller less than root access to WHM (by editing the reseller in the reseller center in WHM).

Not sure exactly what your needs are, but might I suggest you let them view the cPanel demo instead, if you're just giving them a look at your WHM.
    Demo - cPanel Inc.

3. JSBurlison

Here is why I want to do this.

I am not going to be reselling any space on the server I am paying for but I will from time to time ask for help by hiring people to both either point me in the right direction or hiring the to do work for me.

Sometimes I have found if I am paying for advise it is easier to show them what I have and what I want rather then describe it.

I have a project that I want to do and I find I am going very slowly because I am spending large amounts of time looking things up in dealing with 4 different programs or applications.

On the things I am stuck on or unsure of it will be faster for me I think to have someone take a look because when I describe things I am often not using the right words.

Basically I want to have a way for hired help to have a look see then tell me if I am doing things right and if not how to do things right.

4. JSBurlison

I will reword this to remove the fluff.

I am not trying to let a customer in but trying to more safely let someone in that I want paid advice from.

I want to be careful not to give do much control.

I have created accounts on the server to divide up my stuff but I don't think those would be reseller accounts would they.

I don't see where to specifically create WHM log in's but I might be looking in the wrong place.

These WHM logins I would want to delete once the work is done.

#4 JSBurlison, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As the owner of the server you'll find quite a bit of help on these forums. You should also be able to rely on your provider for assistance, and of course cPanel support when you run into a problem. If you're new and not sure about a lot of things, you might want to stick to that for now, IMHO.

Or, get yourself a managed server if the one you have now is not.

Not sure how you're setup on your server, but every server I've ever setup, I like to create my own master reseller account first, and then add any accounts I create under that user. I use that master reseller account for most things in an attempt to use the root login as little as possible.

You could setup a dummy reseller account and give them limited WHM access that way if you wanted. Since I've got no clue what the needs are (specific areas this person might need to get into) I can't suggest much more than that.

Personally, I would give my provider full (root) access if needed, cPanel support, my favorite security guy, chirpy, from configserver even, but that's about it.

Hang in there, someone else may be by with a better idea for you on this than mine.

6. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

This sounds like good advice. I've just created my first reseller account but when I log in as that account rather than the root account, the options available are very restricted compared to root.

Am I missing something when setting up that reseller account?

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes, in the Reseller Center you can edit the options your reseller(s) have.
    More in the docs here: ResellerCenter < 11_24/WHMDocs < TWiki

8. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

9. creator

creator BANNED

hola thanks for this post...