The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM and DNS zones show different IPs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by MalaysiaMel, Jul 12, 2014.

1. MalaysiaMel

MalaysiaMel Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After a recent move to a colocated server I have been having fits trying to get some of the sites to load. Many of the sites just give me the default cPanel, Sorry page, http://www.domain.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi.

When I check the DNS zones of the pages giving me the Sorry page, the IP addresses shown in the DNS zones and WHM are different even after resaving the zone files and reloading WHM. It appears that in all the cases where the Sorry page is loading that the IP as shown at the registrar, the IP according to the zone files and the IP according to pings and whois results agree with each other but NOT with WHM.

Whats going on here and how do I fix it?

#1 MalaysiaMel, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. MalaysiaMel

MalaysiaMel Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anybody? I would like to submit a ticket but cannot get into either WHM or the server root to find the required support ID - Any other way to submit a ticket?

3. SS-Maddy

SS-Maddy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Make sure that the modification is being done on the actual NS records. If the domain is registered with an external Name Server the zone file present in the hosting server won't have any impact. You can check the DNS status using the tool intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health . If the modification is done on the correct server, then it might be a dns propagation delay. You may use proxy sites to check the domain availability during this period.

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does your server have a NAT configuration, with internal private IP addresses and external public IP addresses? That is one reason I can think of, that you might see a mismatch between DNS and the IP address setting for an account.

You can get the support access ID by logging into the server via SSH and running this command:

Code:
    # /usr/local/cpanel/cpanel -S
    If you cannot do that, send an e-mail to cs@cpanel.net. That will create a ticket in customer service, and they will send it to technical support.

Please note, however, that support will need access to your server, and we depend on you to provide access to your server. If you cannot access your server, we will not be able to either. You need to talk to your data center so they can help you regain access to your server, before you contact cPanel support. cPanel support depends on you to provide access to your server, so you need to be able to log into both SSH and the WHM, so you can make that happen.