The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Assigning the Wrong IPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by biggsy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. biggsy

biggsy Member

Hi there,

I think I have successfully managed to setup a second set of nameservers on 2 new ips on my WHM controlled server.

The nameservers seem to be setup fine and the DNS records seem good.

1 Thing that is bugging me however and I would like advice on please is that when I go to: 'Edit reseller privileges & nameservers' and choose the domain, at the very bottom of the page there is a nameserver section and when I press the button which says 'Assign IP Address' it says its assigning some IP that I dont even have available to me in my account.

This doesnt seem to effect the dns records on the domain itself, but is there something else I should be looking at because on the left menu if i click 'DNS functions' and then 'Nameserver IPs' it shows the wrong ones for the new set.

Thanks

Andy

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If it's pulling the wrong IPs for the nameservers, you should first dig the nameservers from your server to see what they resolve to. It's possible that the nameserver hostnames are indeed pointing to an incorrect IP. You can also edit /etc/nameserverips, or manually set the DNS records for the nameservers without making WHM query for them.

3. cPanelTracey

cPanelTracey Member
    Staff Member

We had received clarification on the Nameserver IPs feature, and the nameserverips.yaml file from our developers. I wanted to share this to clarify the intended behavior.

The functionality of the "Nameserver IPs" page was changed in 11.30. It is now a report, and not a page meant to configure any aspect of DNS. It reports the nameservers used by zones on the server, as well as a count of the the number of zones that use a given nameserver.

The nameserverips.yaml file is automatically updated, and not meant to be altered by hand. It is a cache file, rather than a configuration file. Neither should the /etc/nameserverips file be altered manually. The script /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/updatenameserverips populates the yaml file automatically. This script retrieves the information it populates the yaml file with by scanning the zones on the server for NS records, then using /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/quickdnslookup to get the IP.

The correct way of updating the information on Nameserver IPs is through the "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" page, and to ensure a proper DNS configuration. If the Nameserver IPs page is presenting incorrect information when DNS is set up correctly, this is a bug and should be reported via a support ticket.