The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Backup backup copies data to Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.. but why???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jols, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

One of my cPanel servers is making redundant copies of the cPanel server backup archive to a new directory for every day of the week. This is taking up too much CPU and it is filling up the second backup hard drive every ther day.

In WHM I have the Configure Backup settings like our other cPanel servers, e.g.

Backup Interval - Daily
    Days to run backup - Sunday, Thursday

But nevertheless backup runs every single day creating copies of the daily to a new directory that it creates for every single day of the week. But why? And how can I fix this so that these daily directories are not created? I only want the Daily directory to be refreshed with newly backed up data twice per week, and the Weekly directoy to be refreshed once per week.

By the way, I also have Incremental backup selected.

Everything is configured the way we have our other cPanel servers, but this one is runing really strange, and by the way, it is the same version as the other cPanel servers as well:

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-R119
    RedHat Enterprise 4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

How in the world can I fix this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Erm, that's a cronjob that we add as part of our cPanel service. It provides day of the week copies of the daily backup (see your service report ;)). If you don't want it, you can remove /etc/cron.daily/backuprotate.pl

3. msquared

msquared Member

We actually like this as we pull daily backups on all accounts. Chirpy, is am sure this can be done, how can we have the file renamed with the date included in it? For example, 'user-mmddyy.gz' ?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That would require a re-write of the script as at present it simply copies the daily directory to the day-of-the-week directpory in its entirety.

5. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Why then is this particular backup script unique among half a dozen or so other cPanel servers that we manage? i.e. none of our other servers do this, and the backup in WHM is all configured the same way.