Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED WHM backup MySQL question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by adonius, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. adonius

adonius Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I noticed an old thread about how WHM had a way to select 3 options for backup of mysql in WHM

It referred to a link that is dead on the forum

So is this still part of WHM?

Mysql Backups options in whm

The OP is talking about something I may need, the ability to set how mysql is stored, I've been under the impression for years of using lots of wordpress sites on my server that it could only have 1 instance of mysql running, but if whm can select how you backup mysql, that implies there's more than 1 mysql file to be backed up.

The link above refers to these 3 options

1. per account
    2. entire mysql directory
    3. per account and mysql directory

I know you can grep info from a mysql table via myphpadmin and export your data and then restore to the master mysql later.

But it seems those 3 options imply multiple instances of mysql.

Everyone with lots of wordpress develop on a shared server always ends up with 1 huge mysql file that chokes the server and R1 soft and other attempts to back it up properly.

Anyway, I'm on a new network and they do R1 bu in a controlled way and it seems to be pretty fast, probably using intranet to a dedicated r1 server and not internet to a remote.

But now I'm looking at how to allow a client to do a legit backup of their own mysql within my master mysql, so if they mess up something I don't have to restore the whole mysql which would erase everyones work since the last R1 was done.

So being able to 'restore' on a customer level their mysql is my need and I guess there's a way to say it's allowed in whm but I don't see it in my new version.

Maybe it has to be initialized in another area of WHM than looking for it in mysql section of whm.

2. adonius

adonius Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They was I was reading the OP thread was within whm there was a selection for backup individual mysql whole mysql

So it looked to me as IF mysql was running more than 1 instance which I don't 'believe' is possible

So maybe the thread was discussing within whm the ability to allow a backup of 1 users mysql or maybe it was doing something I was told was not possible, to have more than 1 instance of mysql on a server running

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to allow backups for a shared server outside of our catastrophic R1 we do, which doesn't do mysql as 'users' only the server wide instance which means the whole db has to be restore is a corruption happens

So 'backup' is still part of what I have to figure out on a new server we have that is thus far just doing R1 for the whole server and the way it is setup now, I don't see any individual mysql info in whm but inside users cpanels I'm a little familiar with exporting mysqal for that account

Oh, we recently started to use backupguard on lots of wp users as a way to do partial mysql backup for that 1 account should they mess something up and need to restore a full data recover of just their data and mysql info

So I can't vouch yet for if backupguard works but thus far it is creating an archive of that users data

Soon we will take a new site with minor data and a theme and do some changes then try to 'restore' within backupguard to the original settings

If it works, then that will be our 'user level' backup
    So backupguard with server wide R1 and then maybe a 2nd drive to mirror data and /var only might be our final solution
    Backup has always been an issue with me, since I'm old school, 40+ years ago the first 3 words my dad taught me about computers were
    backup
    backup
    backup

So I've always had redundant backup until the net and in the early days without wordpress it was easy, since html was created remotely and then ftp'd into the server so at least data was always remotely held

But wordpress changed that and then we relied on a raid and R1 and when a corrupt drive ruined a whole raid and only R1 saved us, I realized how vulnerable all these mysql intensive cms programs like wordpress are

Anyway, when I saw that whm info about a, b and c as mysql choices I thought hmmm, I don't see that on my whm and then I saw the thread was old and the refer link was dead so now I'm asking about exactly how is mysql options in whm done to allow a user ability to 'backup' other than the usual export in phpadmin stuff in cpanel most users should have access
    Anyway, with mysql intensive users we are now installing backupguard as part of our management of their wp

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The MySQL backup options are documented at:

Backup Configuration - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Here's the description of each option:

It's not separate MySQL instances, but rather different methods of backing up the existing MySQL data.

Thanks!

adonius likes this.
  4. adonius

adonius Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator