The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Backup suggestion

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jamesbond0006, Feb 10, 2015.

1. jamesbond0006

jamesbond0006 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a VPS server and I am using the compressed backup with amazon s3 as additional information. I have few questions and would appreciate if anyone answers.

1. Is there any security I need to consider when using s3? Will the data be sent as encryted? Can I also send system backups to s3? My only concern is about security. Do you recommend sending access and bandwidth logs as well?

2. I have about 30GB space used with 1TB available. Do you recommend using uncompressed as that will take less time to complete?

3. Do you recommend getting a backup VPS from somewhere else and SFTP there as additional destination.

4. Or using the incremental backups and sync it to another VPS?

I would like to hear how you achieve your backup needs and appreciate your feedbacks regarding this.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

1. Yes, backups to the Amazon S3 destination should occur via SSL. Please see the following document regarding system backups to remote destinations:

How to configure an additional destination to receive system backups

I don't see much difference between sending logs and sending account-specific data with the account backups.

2. Uncompressed is faster than compressed, but it takes up more disk space. You can enable it if you want a faster backup process at the expense of additional disk space used.

3. This is a reasonable idea of you want additional redundancy, however I believe Amazon S3 has sufficient redundancy already.

4. Remote incremental backups are not supported at this time, but feel free to vote for the existing feature request at:

Support for remote incremental backups | cPanel Feature Requests

Thank you.