The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myweb, Jun 17, 2004.

1. myweb

myweb Well-Known Member

I would like to use the CPanel backup feature to backup files to a remote host. How much space do i need for the remote host to backup data on a Cpanel server with 80GB HDD?

2. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Depends on how much of that 80 gigs are in use, and you will need to have storage for the weekly and monthly backups as well as the daily.

3. alex042

alex042 Well-Known Member

I believe 2x the size is recommended for the backup drive, which would make it a 160gb drive, but from what I've seen, most go with an 80gb backup drive.. unless you don't have it full (say 20gb or less) in which case you could go with a 40gb drive.

4. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb (as is suggested) one should use at least a drive of equal size for the Cpanel Backups. As Cpanel backups are compressed, there's been little need of anything larger.

5. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Also think about how much you are going to use. Most clients do not use much space at all and you will not fill up that 80gb of space. Are you going to have the cpu power to host many small sites when you get to the point of using most of your disk? The other suggestions are all good, I wold suggest atleast equal size but you should think about if you are ever going to need it.