The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbjb, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rbjb

rbjb Member

I have WHM cpanel backup set to backup my accounts to a remote ftp site. It has worked fine at least I thought it did. A few days ago I had my hard drive on this server fail and this meant a OS/cpanel/accounts Restore.

After the restore I had a terrible problem that was finally resolved after a day and a half. Some of the accounts were backed up without their sql databases. Nobody seems to know why this happened. Most all the database sites restored just fine but there were not any databases in nine of the accounts.

If anyone could offer an explinaton as to why some of the accounts were backed up without their databases I would like to hear it. The accounts were finally restored by manually installing the databases from some ten day old backups. Needless to say we lost some data.

Ray

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds to me like some of the accounts ran out of space so DB backups didn't make it. Just guessing though. Did some make it or none made it to backup? If none, are you sure you had backups configured correctly?

3. rbjb

rbjb Member

Sixteen accounts with databases restored without problems. Nine accounts had no database in the backups. To make matters worse three with shopping carts didn't have databases in the backups. There was plenty of space in the backup drive and the server was not full on any drive.

It's kinda destroyed my confidence in the backup system. I would like to come up with some way of having database individual backups. Two of the accounts that lost the databases were my accounts and six of them did not matter if the database were old that we restored. But the three shopping cart clients were not happy at all. Their sites were down for almost two days as we tried to figure out what happened. Then when they were restored we lost data. I have encouraged them once again to make their own backups and to backup the databases daily.

I sure would like to know what happened.

Ray

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

You would have to look at the cpbackup logs which get emailed to the contact after each nightly run. I recommend saving them, just like the upcp stuff nightly emails.

We have it set so it goes to one email which then sends out two copies, one to me live and another to a emailbox that never gets deleted.

5. rbjb

rbjb Member

Looking at the cpbackup logs is a good idea that I have not done very well. So after reading your post I went back and looked at one of the accounts that didn't contain a database. I checked the log for the 18th. which is the backup we tried to restore. Here are the sql entrys:

Entering timeout safety mode
    Grabbing mysql dbs............
    Done
    Grabbing mysql privs...Done
    Leaving timeout safety mode

It looks like it got the database but it didn't because the database were not in the backup. It wasn't just me that couldn't find them. I have a manged plan with the data center where the server is located. In addition I pay for another server management service and I had them try to restore and no databases in those nine accounts could be found by them either.

I thought it might have been that during the backup the hard drive failed and caused it to miss the databases. But everything else in the backup restored. Also we even tried backups from the 12th. and there were no databases in those accounts for that backup.

Ray

6. rbjb

rbjb Member

Now one more thing. I have checked in the WHM backup config "per account only." at the advice of the data centers techs. This should be OK but I wonder if I should have checked "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory." If I check per account and entire MySQL directory what do I get. Do I get the database in each account backup and another copy in the Entire MySQL directory?

Ray

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Check that option and save. Then run a backup and see what you get so you know for sure.

We have that option checked, always have.

8. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just checked some of my backup files and I see that NO database files are in them.
    Instead, there is a folder for /mysql and a sql file for the structure of the database. But no Data.

Luckily I haven't had to restore anyone from these backups.
    However, I found this from trying to restore a backup from someone else's server. They had the 'full backup' of their site, but it doesn't have their data.

It looks like the data tables are saved separate from the backup file. Which might make sense, except I think the assumption is that 'full' means 'everything including the data'.

I don't think the server admin that gave these people their backup files to move, knew that the mysql data was separate. I know I wouldn't have known.