The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Backups & how they work.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaniac, Mar 7, 2005.

1. shaniac

shaniac Registered

I have a question on the WHM backup scripts.
    1. It seems they are accruing, in that what is copied over to the /backup directory is never erased.
    2. If this is so, eventually the /backup directory will fill up. (as mine is about too. :)
    3. Thus I have archived the daily, weekly and monthly backups off to another server, and now would like to delete the contents of the directories in the / backup folder, so the backups can start again.

So.. My question is, if I delete the (contents of) the daily/weekly/monthly main directories inside the /backup folder, will the backup script notice they are empty, and do a full backup of each / home directory?

or

Will the script only continue to backup what files have changed since the last time it ran it's backup script.

- Thanks
    Shane

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Depends on if you're doing incremental BUs or not I guess. If yours is set to create BUs in tar.gz then you do need to go in and remove the old ones over time.

Chirpy has a script for checking/removing old backups, http://www.configserver.com/

If you remove the contents of the backup dirs, it will create new backups next run just as it did before. If it finds none, it will create a full BU per your settings in WHM.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member