whm can't start...
yesterday, i rebooted my server and then it can't start

what i will do ?
thanks.. .

Last edited:

d_t

Sep 20, 2003
Bucharest
This is not a WHM problem but one with filesystem. Looks like the CD/DVD is missing (hdc). Try to put it and reboot. If doesn't work, type your password, mount root partition, edit /stc/fstab and comment the line for hdc1

madaboutlinux

Jan 24, 2005
Earth
You have created LVM partitions which seem to have gone bad. Login to the server from the 'Maintenance' mode and do a File System Check on those partitions. If you are unable to login via the Maintenance mode, you will have to login from Rescue mode using a CD.

Also make sure you don't have any extra entries in /etc/fstab file else the system will try to mount them at startup and since the partitions are not available, the bootup will fail with errors.

NeilAgg

Dec 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I am seeing this on some of my customers' VPS servers as well.

I tested it on a new installation of cPanel on a CentOS 5.5 VPS running on a KVM host.

There is no hdc device in the guest's configuration, but when I go into WHM and click Format/Mount a new Hard Drive under Disk Drives, it shows that it found a drive hdc.

If the user clicks the button to Partition, Format, and Mount that drive, WHM will place an entry in /etc/fstab and the system will not boot from then on until the entry is removed.

Is there a way to fix WHM so it does not show this fictitious drive?

eth00

PartnerNOC
Mar 30, 2003
NC
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am seeing this on some of my customers' VPS servers as well.

I tested it on a new installation of cPanel on a CentOS 5.5 VPS running on a KVM host.

There is no hdc device in the guest's configuration, but when I go into WHM and click Format/Mount a new Hard Drive under Disk Drives, it shows that it found a drive hdc.

If the user clicks the button to Partition, Format, and Mount that drive, WHM will place an entry in /etc/fstab and the system will not boot from then on until the entry is removed.

Is there a way to fix WHM so it does not show this fictitious drive?
You should put in a ticket or bug report for this issue, it does nto sound like it happens on all machines but if you can give them a server that can reproduce it they may be able to track it down quicker.