The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM commondomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LA_fro, Feb 2, 2005.

1. LA_fro

LA_fro Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Recently we had a bad egg attempt to signup with a commom domain name and the automated installer we use did not catch this so an hour later when I was checking the server I noticed and killed the account. Not really a major issue but low and behold a few hours later the same jokester signs up again with a different set of info and another common domain name. And again I catch it but I may not always catch them so quickly.

My question then is has anyone played with setting up additional domains in /usr/local/cpanel/etc/commondomains? And if so do you have recommended domains that you have added? I added some that I believe cpanel should have a long time ago such as suntrust, citibank, microsoft, google and paypal, but I am looking for common ones that I just missed. I know this is after the fact security but I have to think of securing our servers against signups of my resellers too.

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2004
    automated signups are generally a bad thing... as you've found out. Common domains added by undesirable customers are bad, but possibly the least of your worries. I'd be more worried about thousands of spams being sent from your server by a spammer signing up before you can check out the account, and the consequences from that.