The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM/Cpanel Backup not compressing mysql dirs (possible bug?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vissa, May 9, 2005.

1. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

I noticed today that the cpanel / whm backup is not compressing the mysql directories even when you select compression (ie even when you do NOT have incremental turned on). If you look in your /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/_var_lib_mysql_/ directories, you will see individual mysql databases/tables that are not compressed.

My question is, why is this so? It's causing a large increase in the backup size for my server.

-V

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just checked on 2 servers and I have no subdirs within daily/dirs/ I would guess that you have an incomplete backup as what you should have is a file called /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/_var_lib_mysql_.tar.gz

3. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

What do you have set for the following option?

Sql Databases (at least per accounts is needed to use the restore feature)
    Per Accounts Only; Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir; Mysql Dir Only

I have mine set to "Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir;"
    I don't think it's incomplete. I have the file you mentioned plus the subfolders.

-V

4. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

By the way, I notice that the .gz file you mentioned (which I also have) is one huge file when uncompressed. If someone was to restore an individual user's mysql database, would there be any possible way to use that file or is that only for a complete restore?

-V

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I have "Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir;" enabled too. I understood this to create the per user .sql files witin the users account.tar.gz and the big one to simply be everything. Maybe mine is the on not working :eek:

I'm not much a whizz with MySQL, so cannot answer the last question.

6. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

Can someone officially answer how this is supposed to look in our backup folder?

Thanks
    -V

7. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

Its not a bug (referring to th "possible bug" in the subject)

"Per Accounts and Entire Mysql Dir" means each user.tar.gz has their sql ("Per user") and then /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/_var_lib_mysql_.tar.gz is the "Entire Mysql Dir" which you would not really need/want to restore an individual account or two.

8. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

So then my server must have a problem since it isn't compressing the individual accounts, correct?

Thanks
    -V

9. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

no you're misunderstanding :)

details in the ticket

10. vissa

vissa Well-Known Member

Cpanel support helped solve the problem (appreciated!). Although maybe you weren't misunderstanding, my problem wasn't being addressed (uncompressed sql backups).

After sending Cpanel Support some directory listings, it turns out there were old uncompressed backed up folders mixed in with the newer compressed backups. I don't think Cpanel automatically deletes old uncompressed backups when you switch to compressed mode. So if a user switches modes, they should know that they manually have to delete the old backup files first. That explains the problem I was having.

Thanks!
    -V

11. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

No problem :)

i understood perfectly, you did not get it until I spelled out what I'd been saying step by step:

No they don't, if that was the case you'd have one directory for each compressed version. Probably it was left over or restored somehow. (the process deleting them was interupted for example)