The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM/CPanel Commands

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeMc, Aug 14, 2002.

1. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

&edited& I have edited my post/question just because of incorrect expression I have used. Anyway, my question is quoted by others below. It's a classical situation that everyone understands what you say but they prefer to be like burocratic employees and just reply : you need more studying.

Thank you all for the replys anyway.

2. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

[quote:b61e84eaa3][i:b61e84eaa3]Originally posted by MikeMc[/i:b61e84eaa3]
    Is there available a list of all whm/cpanel shell commands with included explanations for each command? I would also like to note the lack of &depth& for the whm's manual. [/quote:b61e84eaa3]
    there isn't anything with this name &whm/cpanel shell commands &
    :)

3. itf

itf Well-Known Member

refer to http://www.linux.com/ if you want to know about shell

4. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

Actualy you both should refer to LinuxNewbie...if you can't understand what I mean with shell commands.

5. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:8e0f46e7ab][i:8e0f46e7ab]Originally posted by MikeMc[/i:8e0f46e7ab]

Actualy you both should refer to LinuxNewbie...if you can't understand what I mean with shell commands. [/quote:8e0f46e7ab]

You used these words &Shell Commands&,
    if you mean cpanel scripts like

/scripts/rpmup
    /scripts/upcp
    /scripts/fixquota

these are called scripts not shell commands.

Your words are shown everything

6. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

[quote:f0f7ac8ef7][i:f0f7ac8ef7]Originally posted by itf[/i:f0f7ac8ef7]

[quote:f0f7ac8ef7][i:f0f7ac8ef7]Originally posted by MikeMc[/i:f0f7ac8ef7]

Actualy you both should refer to LinuxNewbie...if you can't understand what I mean with shell commands. [/quote:f0f7ac8ef7]

You used these words &Shell Commands&,
    if you mean cpanel scripts like

/scripts/rpmup
    /scripts/upcp
    /scripts/fixquota

these are called scripts not shell commands.

Your words are shown everything[/quote:f0f7ac8ef7]

Actually your words have shown everything. When you call a script from the command line you type a command. Ok, if you don't want to call them 'shell commands' I will call them 'extended shell commands', as with the cpanel installed in your system, it isn't a Linux system but a Cpanel-Linux system. Ofcourse everyone has his opinion and that's ok, but don't be so unfair and call immediately the other an ignorant. Learn to express your opinions without touching the person or just don't post. That's clear enough.

7. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

Shell command is a command that interprets by shell program like bash
    in example &echo& which is a shell command
    But something like &pico& is not a shell command it is an editor program
    In brief you think that everything that is run via shell is a shell command but it's not true, as you can see above

However you can open a file which is called &listfiles& and put these lines in it (pico listfiles)

#!/bin/bash
    ls -l

When you chmod it to 700 and type this at shell prompt
    ./listfiles
    You can see it works but it is not a shell command it's a script/program

somehow we can call them commands but it's not true to call them all shell commands, when you wrote &WHM/Cpanel shell commands& it is confusing
    Also cpanel-Linux System? Cpanel is just a control panel program

We are all friends if it is my fault, it's my fault while it's your fault it's your fault if we don't accept our faults and don't correct them, then why do we run support forums!!!
    Also you can search what I or ITF posted before there is nothing except helping the others.
    ;)

8. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

When I say that this is a CPanel-Linux system and not a simple Linux system, I mean that if on a CPanel box you act like you do on a normal vergin Linux box, you will probably soon have no working cpanel.

I agree that my phrase &WHM/Cpanel shell commands& isn't actually correct but that doesn't change the fact that calling a script is a command that gets in any case executed and intepreted.

Just to finish the things thank you for your last reply (I'll throw the others), I still didn't get an answer for my first question although you seem to have understood what I was meaning but you prefered focus your attention elsewhere. I believe that everyone understood from the beginning what I was meaning but as I said saying &Study Linux& or &refer to LinuxNewbie& were more important answers for you. I would say a classical attitude...but I don't have any intention to accept. In any case thank you all. Have a nice day.

9. itf

itf Well-Known Member

I forgot to answer your first question this is the answer:

There isn’t any manual describing the Cpanel scripts/commands but when you have a problem first search the forum then you can ask for it then the others will answer you, and you can find out what is what. i.e. you have quota problem then you read in your case you have to use /scripts/fixquota

This is why these forum exist

Also please accept a piece of advice if you want really manage and administer your server via shell/SSH you have to improve your Linux experience Cpanel is a control panel program to facilitate and simplify the works but has nothing to do with Linux.

Also we are answering most of the questions completely then don’t worry about commands, for your reference I've answered questions from a simple bash command to custom configuration or hacking the programs
    And so many other questions have been answered in this forum by me or other members

Just post your problem it’s my pleasure if I could help.

Good luck :)