Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

WHM / cPanel not loading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xvihost, Nov 6, 2006.

1. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

I am having an issue trying to get into WHM on two of my servers. These are older servers, and honestly I only use them for DNS and haven't tried getting into them in probably a year.

I go to the address for WHM on my server, for instance http://www.domain.com/whm but nothing happens really. It DOES NOT give me the username/password box to enter information. It DOES redirect at the point of failure to http://www.domain.com:2086/, but that is about it. Otherwise it has:

The connection has timed out - The server at www.domain.com is taking too long to respond. (In Firefox)

The server is otherwise functioning and does talk to my other servers when domains are added.

I have searched the forums and found some ideas. I did run a /scripts/upcp --force to no avail. Also I rebooted the server since it had been 400+ days since a reboot. I also tried killing a bunch of services to free up memory, but that didn't seem to help.

The server is setup to auto-update (RELEASE branch) and I do receive cron job emails from it nightly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peace,
    Tom

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    service cpanel restart
    See what it says and if you get any error.

netstat -anlp |grep 2086

Does that show anything, I wonder if cPanel is even able to bind to the port.

Check the cpanel logs /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Run the following commands at the prompt:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel restart
    /scripts/reswhostmgr
    /scripts/upcp --force

If that doesn't help, check cPanel log file /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    Hope this helps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

Thank you both for the suggestions. I have tried both and I am still experiencing the same problem. :( I should mention that when I first set this server up I could access WHM fine, so it is not a firewall issue. (I did check the netstat though and it is good)

I should also mention that I was thinking maybe the number of open file handles allowed needs to be increased? I saw something like this in another post. How can I tell if it does need to be increased? This server only have 256 MB of RAM so even running cPanel on it is kinda pushing it (but it's been a good little DNS server for me for the past year! :) )

Peace,
    Tom

5. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

Bump for this because it's super important (to me at least) hehe ;) sorry :(

Anyone else have any other suggestions??

Peace,
    Tom

6. krava

krava Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello.

Are you sure it isn't a firewall related issue ? Run:

telnet servername.com 2086

telnet servername.com 2087

in your command prompt and check output.

Did you try to log in to WHM using the IP address (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/whm/) of your box instead of the hostname ?

7. Festive Hosting

I am having the EXACT same issue accessing Cpanel using Firefox, but none using IE.

8. krava

krava Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you clean cookies and cache of your Firefox ?

9. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

Took both these suggestions also to no avail. Like I said earlier, it isn't a firewall problem. The warehouse doesn't provide firewall for me, and I haven't changed any settings and WHM used to work fine on the box. I tried to telnet to the port just for sanity sake and it did connect.

I also cleared cache, cookies, sessions, etc with no result.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this exact problem? Should I open a ticket?

Thanks,
    Tom

10. krava

krava Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do /var/log/messages
    and
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    show when you try to log in to cPanel/WMH ?

Did you try to log in to WHM/cPanel from locally using lynx ?
    #lynx http://localhost:2086/

Sure you need to run the command on the server where cPanel/WHM doesn't work.

11. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

Ok, I went to https://localhost:2087/ in Lynx and after a couple certificate errors it did login.

So I (at the same time which was stupid) added 2086:tcp to my firewall rules, then I tried logging in remotely to http://domain.com:2086/ and DID get the login screen, so I hit cancel. Then I went to https://domain.com:2087 and it worked. I'm completely stumped. I'm thinking about reversing out the 2086:tcp and seeing if it still works.

The log files didn't show anything unfortunately. My other boxes do not have 2086:tcp allowed and I can login to WHM fine on them. :\

Totally confused. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP THOUGH!!! :-D

Peace,
    Tom

12. mgsnnetworks

mgsnnetworks Well-Known Member