WHM & CPanel server went completely down from Disk Quota Exceeded

nathanielp

Registered
Feb 21, 2021
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I'm somewhat frantic right now because of the issue that my website is facing so please excuse me if this isn't my most elaborate explanation of an issue ever. I was attempting to send an email from a webmail account on my server. First indication of this issue that I faced was a 452 error, saying there was no space left to compose the email. I then tried reloading the actual website, it hangs upon on likely a related issue, and then even my 500 error page won't display because Laravel tries to send an email on exception, so now every page of my website is now a stack trace to a failed mkdir() command. Looking in Cpanel, it says my account is only using 23GB of storage, out of infinity, so I have no clue how I'm out of space. Trying to load my WHM to see if there is an actual limit on storage for the account returns a 500 error, Error ID 5e6e3cc30597. I've tried finding anything about this issue, and I can't find anything anywhere relating to this particular set of issues. I've tried deleting files just to get enough space to go back into WHM but I can't even delete anything because apparently deleting files is attempting to write something somewhere, which it can't. I feel utterly stuck and powerless. Now I can't even get into Terminal because of an invalid frame header, so I'm now trying to SSH in so I can manually rm a directory to free up space.

EDIT 1 - I figured I'd try to log out of Cpanel and log back in to see if that was part of the issue, now I've lost all control because now the Cpanel login page displays an error 500 instead of any login or anything. So now I have literally 0 access to the server and will likely have to contact the hosting provider to regain control.

nathanielp

Registered
Feb 21, 2021
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Ended up being out of space as message explained, server host expanded disk quota which fixed all of the issues. Also makes sense why it said I had infinite space, as I had infinite space on that account but not on the server as a whole. This still leaves weirdness though, as by going through the server with du every which way, I still couldn't find any large files taking up the extra 100 gigs that aren't within my admin account.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear about this disk quota issue on the machine. You mentioned trying to load WHM on the machine, but your forums user profile shows you don't have root access to the system. Do you indeed have root access to the server? If so, I can update your profile to reflect that for the future.

If you do have root access it would be best to run this command on the server to see the overall disk usage:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth 1
as that would show the overall disk usage on the entire machine. More details about tracking down usage with that command can be found here:

nathanielp

Registered
Feb 21, 2021
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! I'm sorry to hear about this disk quota issue on the machine. You mentioned trying to load WHM on the machine, but your forums user profile shows you don't have root access to the system. Do you indeed have root access to the server? If so, I can update your profile to reflect that for the future.

If you do have root access it would be best to run this command on the server to see the overall disk usage:

Code:
cd /
du -h --max-depth 1
as that would show the overall disk usage on the entire machine. More details about tracking down usage with that command can be found here:

I picked to list myself as a website owner because that's a most accurate title, but my website is built on a dedicated hosting service where I have root access, hence the title conflict. I ran those commands, as I saw them in another thread regarding cleaning up disk space, but despite the fact my /dev/vzfs is apparently 120gigs the largest file listed from du -h ... is only like 5mb, which threw me for a loop. Tried a couple of other things, like ls -la and a few others to see if it was just a hidden directory or something, but I couldn't find anything. Tried a command to du and sort from largest to smallest, that still only showed like a 13mb file as the largest. Might not have been on base directory though, so I'll try cd'ing out of the directory terminal opens up to when I get back from work, figured it'd open up to the root directory though.