The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM display issues after IE8 upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BobtheWebguy, Mar 12, 2010.

1. BobtheWebguy

BobtheWebguy Member

I upgraded a Vista IE7 system to Vista IE8.

Since the upgrade, I get odd results logging into WHM. Instead of getting the usual initial screen with the header, left links, and "main" screen, I get a blank header, blank left column, and instead of the "main" section I get the "Service Status" display. System Specs: cPanel 11.25.0-R43473 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9 "VPS optimized"

Note:
    - I can access WHM on another server at a different host and it works fine from the same machine, same browser. Very similar version: cPanel 11.25.0-S43473 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9 "accelerated2"

- I can access either server through Firefox and it works fine

- I have cleared the IE cache and rebooted (no change).

I do see that the server that works is S43473 and the one that does not is R43473. Was there an update in there that addressed this problem? Any other ideas?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To assist in troubleshooting and further an accurate diagnosis, please let us know the following information:
    1. After upgrading IE on the local workstation, did you have to re-login to WHM or was the login session saved (remembered) from an earlier time when using IE7?
    2. When clearing the browser cache in IE8, were cookies also cleared?
    3. Does the issue still occur if forcing a log-out from WHM, clearing browser cache/cookies in IE8, closing all browser windows, then performing a fresh login after reopening IE8?
    4. Are all applicable software updates (e.g., services packs and available bug-fixes) installed for both the operating system (OS), Windows Vista, and the browser, Internet Explorer 8 (IE8)?

For reference, here are a few example URLs to force a log-out if the visual links are not readily seen or accessible; here I used "server" to represent either a server IP address, server hostname, or other domain hosted on the same server that resolves to the correct IP address, and following this "domain.tld" simply represents a domain name that's hosted on the server that can be used when the proxy sub-domains feature is enabled:
    Code:
    https://server:2087/logout/
    http://server:2086/logout/
    http://whm.domain.tld/logout/

#2 cPanelDon, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  3. BobtheWebguy

BobtheWebguy Member

Thanks... I did the forced logout - when I logged back in, the problem was cured!

4. BobtheWebguy

BobtheWebguy Member

Logout is a work around, but no solution

Whoops! Change that result. If I don't log out, the next time I access the errant site (even after a reboot)) the problem occurs again. I can then do a forced logout with the URL you provided, I get the fresh login prompt, I log back in and it's fine.

FYI - The cache & cookie clearing did not help, even with an auxilliary program run in addition to MSIE cache / cookie clearing (since MS's seems to have its faults). I will be checking for windows update and make sure all those are up to date and edit this response.

Any thoughts or further tests I should do?

5. BobtheWebguy

BobtheWebguy Member

Refined Testing

I've done some more testing. The problem occurs only when I use a Favorite in MSIE8 to access the server via http://serverIP:2086/. If I manually type or cut/paste the exact same URL, it works fine.

Logging out after use does not have any effect when I next start the browser.

Note that even if I log out and exit the browser, the next time I start MSIE it will have the username/password prefilled in the MSIE prompt and I do not get teh actual Cpanel login. I've cleared every item in the Options and it still holds onto the user/pass for WHM. Weird, but MSIE8 does seem to have some cache clearing problems.

But, even running ccleaner to clean out the cache, cookies, etc does not seem to help. Only the forced logout at the address line solves the problem (and does so without even exiting or clearing the browser). When I then log back in from the prompt via the Cpanel login (not the MSIE pre-filled login) it works fine.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure I follow you, what MSIE prompt? Do you mean to htaccess popup?

In your browsers (IE8) Internet Options > Content Tab > Auto Complete section you can change several settings here you may be interested in.

That password protection popup (htaccess) will retain the login details if you tick the "Remember My Password" Even if you clear your cookies.

Also, IMHO, you shouldn't be accessing the server via IP. You might want to check your settings in WHM > Tweak Settings > Redirection section.

What happens if you edit your bookmark link and access the server from this URL:
    server.namehere.com:2087