The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whm finally set correctly, then.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by com-techs, Feb 14, 2006.

1. com-techs

com-techs Member

my 15 day licese ran out :P

sheese.

well, this sucks.

cant uninstall this app. without a full reformat.

cant go in and fix problems, because the license expired.

so not i need to come up with 400.00 to finnish setting up my 1 site.

my question now is this. why is cpanel so exspensive? and is there an alternative for people like me who have 1 or 2 sites on a dedicated server. and dont plan on selling sites or doing additional web hosting?

and the last question is, why would someone make an application that can not be uninstalled. granted apache, and mysql still work and the e-mail gateway. but now im fully crippled.

bleh..

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel shouldn't be used for one site. It's used to manage many sites. If you only have one site on a personal server you should probably be managing it manually.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed.

The reason cPanel is very difficult to uninstall is because of what it is. It needs to install and modify a plethora of applications and server settings so that it can integrate into the core of the OS to offer universal (and secure) access to the many daemons that make up a web hosting service.

cPanel is priced according to the whatever the market will bear and seems to me to be priced in accordance with its main competitors - nothing unusual in that whatsoever.

Probably the cheapest way to play with cPanel if you want to test it out would be to get a monthly VPS package from somewhere.

4. com-techs

com-techs Member

i got whm/cpanel because im a noob at linux, and only needed soemthing to make running a web server easy.

now that it is disabled, im scrambling to find commands to do basic commands.

the good thing is, not everything stopped working. so i can ssh in to my site, and make edits to the pages,

but things like db curruption in mysql, well, that and a few of the things make this project in little more challenging than I thought it would be .

I am wondering at this point if there is a command line tutorial on fedora 4.0

As of now I have no choice but to learn fedora so any help I can find on it would be greatly appreciated.

5. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

6. com-techs

com-techs Member

this brings up another question , since I cannot uninstall the cpanel if I install another application on the same box with this application still installed would create conflicts and or other complications or what I need to back up everything and then have the computer reformatted reinstalled with the fedora operating system and then start all over

7. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

since cpanel does destructive os integration .... if you do not plan to use whm/cpanel ... format reload and then take up something which doesn't do destructive OS integration. Yes have the backup of whatever you have hosted ready before you do a format.

Anup