The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM how would i change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doridro, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Doridro

Doridro Registered

hi, In WHM how would i change ns1.localdomain, ns2.localdomain or get a host server dns name with my domain name ... such as ns1.doridro.info, ns2.doridro.info or any any defult ns server b/c ns1.localdomain one i cannot setup with my domain.. how can i do tha

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

"hosts" are registered at the registrar. They are bound to an IP address at the InterNic side. as long as the server at the other end of that IP responds to dns quries and the domain the host records are created for is a valid domain that hasnt' expired ..that's technically ally ou need for it to work. It also helps that the dns zone for the "domain" that ns and ns1 are with has NS records also in it. But that's technically not necessary but considered a standard doing so.

3. Doridro

Doridro Registered

Sorry bro didn't get what u said... how i do that .. in order change i amnew at this

4. LiNUxG0d

LiNUxG0d Well-Known Member

Let's try another approach,

You'll need 2 IP addresses. You can use the one main shared IP, and you need another as well.

Let's assume these are your IPs:

You would go where you registered the domain name (registrar) and log in to manage your account. I register domains at GoDaddy from time to time, so let's use them as an example.

Once you log in to your registrar, you should have DNS options in there. Chances are, you can do what's called "Private Registration" where you can globally propogate/register private DNS servers such as: ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com

Usually, you are asked a DNS host name and IP... like:

ns1.yourdomain.com -> 1.2.3.4
    ns2.youdomain.com -> 5.6.7.8

If your registrar has a phone number, just give them a call and tell them you want "Private DNS Servers". :)

Let us know what comes of it,