The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM initial setup and nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by InteractM, Apr 3, 2013.

1. InteractM

InteractM Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm kind of stuck on WHM Initial setup - step 4 - Nameservers.

There are 4 steps to follow for nameservers setup, but before cPanel I have used public DNS (Google and later DNS provided by a data center where server is installed), and now I'm confused about nameservers setup for cPanel.

Do I need to create "local" nameservers or can I use those provided by a data center? I'm not going to be a domain registrar or something like that - just want to host some websites with cPanel access, which domains are registered somewhere else (GoDaddy, Network Solution, BlueHost, etc) and pointed A Name, MX, etc to our server. If I will must to create "local" nameservers can I use same IP address as was used for WHM IP access for both NS?

Thanks for any tips.

#1 InteractM, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Yes you can.
    But do not try to "Assing IP address" or "Add an A entry for this nameserver".

3. InteractM

InteractM Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I wasn't waiting and added ns11.myserver.net and ns12.myserver.net with same both IPs as my WHM server and now I have got warning email:

Any clue what can be wrong or how to revert that to nameservers from a data center?

Thanks