The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM LVE Manager Plugin - Meaning of LVE Settings

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by mikelegg, May 14, 2011.

1. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

Am I correct in understanding that the following settings in the WHM LVE Manager Plugin would place a limit of 25% of 1 CPU on an LVE ...

Code:
    CPU: 25
    Number of Cores Per LVE*: 1
    I ask because the CloudLinux documentation says this ...
    I'm trialling CloudLinux on a 4 CPU machine and now I'm not sure whether the 25% setting above gives each LVE 25% of 1 CPU, 100% of 1 CPU (4 x 25) or 25% of 4 CPUs.

2. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

I've read and re-read the documentation and I think I understand it now.

The CPU percentage limit is relative to the total of all CPU resources, so 25% of a 4 CPU machine = 25% of 4 x 100% which would equal 100% of one CPU (assuming the number of cores per LVE is set to 1 - the default).

2. Since the "number of cores" setting takes precedence, setting it to 1 on a 4 CPU machine means that an LVE can only use 1 of the 4 available cpu's. On a 4 CPU machine this (co-incidentally) also equals 25% of the total available resources.

So the settings I mentioned in my original post are 2 separate limits which in my case (a 4 CPU server) both amount to the same thing.

If I wanted to give an LVE more than 25% of the available CPU resources, I would have to increase the Number of Cores for that LVE to something higher than 1.

If I were to simply increase the CPU percentage it would have no effect because it would still be limited by the 1 core (which on a 4 core machine 25%).

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The way you've described it in your post would be accurate, the limits are based on the number of available CPUs, so you have two different limiting factors (the number of cores and the percentage of CPU).