The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by istav555, Feb 5, 2012.

1. istav555

istav555 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I need to migrate a WHM server to new hardware. My question is if I can use "dual" nameservers on the new server. What I mean:

1. Install new server
    2. Setup ns1.newserver.com & ns2.newserver.com on the new server.
    3. Setup ns1.oldserver.com & ns2.oldserver.com on the new server.
    4. Migrate accounts using the "Change DNS on Source Server to Point to Local Server" option.

That way when all accounts have migrated the old server will actually only be used for DNS purposes. That is it will just re-direct all website requests to the new server. The new server will serve ALL website requests for all the accounts, file reading and saving, email and databases. Also clients and website visitors will cache the new server's IPs on their computers. Am I right on these assumptions?

Then, after a few days I will change the ns1.oldserver.com & ns2.oldserver.com IPs at the registrar to point to the new server. Will again wait a few days for DNS to propagate for everybody and then decommission the old server.

Is this plan right? Can it work?

2. istav555

istav555 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /http://maketecheasier.com/migrate-site-to-new-server-without-any-downtime/2010/01/27 This plan seems much better...:)

Some times too much work makes you to not think straight! :)