The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Nameservers.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ScottCM, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ScottCM

ScottCM Registered

Hi I'm trying to set up nameservers on my VPS...I have cpanel installed but I'm having problems. On the Basic cPanel/WHM Setup I put all the details in also putting my name servers as ns.mydomain.com(i changed to my domain) but when I go to the control panel where i bought my domain to change it to my VPS nameservers I set I get the following error nRRPResponseCode 541
    Nameserver ns2.zen-radios.com cannot be registered I'm wondering if there is tutorials or if someone can help me sort my nameservers out.

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Registrars will not allow you to add nameservers to a domain's configuration that do not resolve. So it is likely that you have not yet set up your nameservers with your registrar so that they resolve properly.

You'll need to go to your registrar and then the main domain that is associated with the nameservers and add add hosts for your nameservers.

For example, if your main domain is hostingcompany.com and you want to use the nameservers ns1.hostingcompany.com and ns2.hostingcompany.com, go to your domain registrar's website and edit hostingcompany.com. You should add hosts for NS1 and NS2 corresponding to the IPs you are going to use for those nameservers.

Once the host entries are added, it may take some time for the DNS information to propagate. Once you are able to resolve ns1 and ns2 (use ping or a browser) then those nameservers are ok to be added to the configuration for your domains.

3. ScottCM

ScottCM Registered

Got it working thanks a lot for your help!