The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Jules242, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Jules242

Jules242 Member

Hello, I just got a VPS, (unmanaged...eh), and I seem to be having a problem with nameservers.

The current IP for the VPS is: http://208.82.99.141/

Its set as the shared IP in WHM, so everything is pointing to that. I asked my host if the nameservers ns1.thehobbylounge.com and ns2.thehobbylounge.com should work (that is the domain for the account I am running under WHM/cPanel), and I was told that this was correct.

However my registrar gives me a validation error when I put in those nameservers for my domain.

I tried to follow these steps: http://hostlibrary.com/StepbyStepGuidetoSettingupaNewWHMcPanelServerforWebHostingAccounts

But they seem to be already done...I think thats if your server isn't setup at all.

Any Ideas? Anything I didn't do? Thanks!

2. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Firstly the nameservers dont ping:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ping ns1.thehobbylounge.com
    Ping request could not find host ns1.thehobbylounge.com. Please check the name a
    nd try again.

Neither does NS2 - I presume you have created the nameservers at your registra and assigned IP's in WHM

Currently not:

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.BLUEHOST.COM
    NS2.BLUEHOST.COM

Speak to godaddy, as them how to create a host record and ask your DC the IPs for your nameservers, or ask them how to assign IP's.

3. Jules242

Jules242 Member

Thanks for the reply. Keep in mind that my nameservers still point to bluehost.

I spoke to godaddy and they told me how to register a nameserver pointing to an IP (custom), I need to put in NS1, and i pointed it to my IP...

For some reason it didn't allow NS1, which was pointing to the same IP i told you guys about. It allowed NS2, to the same IP. The godaddy guy told me that they could point to the same IP... so why does NS2 register and not 1? What should I do?

thanks

4. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Right heres what to do:

Step 1 = Speak to the Company that is providing your VPS and get IP's for the following:

ns1.thehobbylounge.com
    &
    ns2.thehobbylounge.com

Step 2 = Then go to godaddy and create the nameservers

Step 3 = Change your domains nameservers to ns1.thehobbylounge.com ns2.thehobbylounge.com

Step 3 = Await for propagation usually 24/48 hours

Step 4 = To test try to ping your domains nameservers

PM me if you require any more assistance.

5. Jules242

Jules242 Member

I got the nameservers verified :) Tonight I'll change to em and wait :)

Thanks guys.