The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lycanthrope, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered

Nov 9, 2003
    Ok, first off, I have no business Administering my own server, but hey, for the price I found this dedicated server & bandwidith for I was foolish to not at least try. The server is up and running and my "main" account is working fine, however, I have some accounts on a 13 IP subnet that appear when they want to. It isn't a matter of propagation or resolution, these changes were made with my registrar a week ago. It also doesn't matter if I type in the domain name or http://ipaddress. Sometimes they'd be there, others not. One of the first things I tried was renaming the box from (to keep it different from my primary name server) to, made the applicable DNS zone changes restarted services, (I don't want to play the localhost.localdomain game) waited and tried again. This didn't seem to change anything. At this time, I have no mission critical accounts up, these are all going to be / are new ventures so I'm basically thinking about just starting over again to make sure it is right. My question is, in a nutshell, what would be the best config?
    My two primary IPs are
    xx.xx.xx4.x4 is my NS
    xx.xx.xx4.x5 is my NS
    I also have:
    xx.xx.xx5.210 - & including 222 some w/ accounts that, like I said don't always want to show themselves on the net.

xx.xx.xx4.x4 was also listed as my main shared IP and has on it.

Can I use the two IPs I currently use for NS exclusively and move my main shared IP to the first in the subnet? or must this stay on the xx.xx.xx4.x4 IP?

I obviously don't want to change the IPs pointing to my nameservers, but if someone has an ideal config that would involve it, I'm game for anything.
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Changing IPs

First If your a newbie You had better lock your box down with or you will be hacked

Next your main IP can't be moved it is the IP of the server

As for sites comming or going it may just have somthing config wrong I can't comment on it with out more info

I f you want me to look PM your sites & ips and I will look at them for you