The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM noob - having issue with ip's and nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fuzion, Oct 12, 2010.

1. fuzion

fuzion Registered

Hello there

PLEASE people help me... I am frustrated trying to solve things 4 hours now... i have searched this forum but i couldnt fix it.

So, i bought an 1-month plan dedicated server from giga-international.com (i know..) with cpanel. I have a domain registered elsewhere.

#1: i created an account, log in at cpanel all good. then i couldnt understand the nameserver procedure... do i need to create one? Should i use the 4 nameservers it had on the new account page??

#2, i then delete the account and bam i can no longer make another one, because the ip is taken. i have tried everything i ve read, restarts, deleted dns entries, rebuild address pool, edited etc/ips file (empty), edited network file no luck... when i go to the view delete ip addresses it has the address assigned to the server, i named it srvr.ek.gr for a reason so this gets the ip but i CANNOT remove it.

People from giga tell me that i need to remove the ip (blah) and if i want them to do it i have to pay 25 euros per 15 minutes. omg.

as for #1, they told me to put the server's ip on the nameservers on the domain site. i cannot put an ip address there it is asking for a "ns1.example.com" format only... and i couldnt make my own namservers, or anything i ve read. and i thought i wasnt a noob.

please anyone on these 2 issues.

2. fuzion

fuzion Registered

anyone to help me? :/

so the ip address issue will be resolved on their end as i see.

as far as the nameservers, i found a topic about that and i intend to follow it, tho i canot create nameservers on the WHM it loads forever and nothing happens (on thae basic setup - lower part of the page)

any ideas?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need to first register your private nameservers at your domain registrar if you will be using your own nameservers. If you aren't certain how to register nameservers for your domain at your domain registrar, you would be able to contact your domain registrar to ask them about it.

After the nameservers are registered, then change your domain name to point to those nameservers at the domain registrar.

At that point, in cPanel go to WHM > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup area and scroll to the bottom, then input the nameservers there. In that location, click the buttom to "Add an A entry for this nameserver" and input the IP you selected for the nameserver if the right IP isn't listed and click "Add entry" button.

As for the WHM > Nameserver IPs area, it doesn't set up your nameservers at all, so you don't need to do anything in that area to get your nameservers working.

If you have any issue setting up the A records in Basic cPanel/WHM Setup area, you can always go to WHM > DNS Functions > Edit a DNS Zone and edit the main domain that will have the nameservers to add the A records for your nameservers there.

The lines should be like the following:

Code:
    ns1 14400 IN A IP#
    ns2 14400 IN A IP#
    You would replace IP# with the actual IP number for that nameserver. After you complete editing the zone, then save it.

4. mackski

mackski Registered

What if i want multiple private name servers, each with separate IP addresses?

eg:

ns1.account1.com 1.1.1.1
    ns2.account1.com 1.1.1.2

ns1.account2.com 1.1.1.3
    ns2.account2.com 1.1.1.4

Would it be as simple as dedicating the account to one of the IP's selected?

eg: account1.com 1.1.1.1

Thanks in advance!

5. happycheese

happycheese Registered

Yes, just go to WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup and scroll down to the bottom where is says "Nameservers - Here you can set the default nameservers used when creating an account." Separate IP addresses for you nameservers is the preferred method. Remember these name servers will be applied to ALL accounts created through your WHM. They will all be the same by default. So Domain1.com, Domain2.com, etc will all use NS1.YOURDOMAIN.com, NS2..., NS3, etc. Also, any IP's you are using for the first time need to be entered in WHM >> IP Functions >> Add a New IP Address.

6. mackski

mackski Registered

This is correct for default name servers, what i want to do is something like: Network Selection >> Nameserver IPs >> Assign an IP for a new nameserver

However if i enter "ns1.somedomain.com" and "Assign IP" it seems as if the next IP address is automatically selected from the IP pool.
    I need to manually select which IP is assigned to the name server.

[Update]
    I edited /etc/nameserverips to assign them correctly.

#6 mackski, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /etc/nameserverips does not assign the IP in the DNS zone file. You need to follow the steps I noted in my reply:

You would use "Add an A entry for this nameserver" and input the IP you selected for the nameserver if the right IP isn't listed and click "Add entry" button.

Please let us know if you do the above and it does not work.

8. luigidelgado

luigidelgado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Tristan,

My servers have 5 IP's for domains/sites and 1 IP as the main server IP... I just set up a pair of NS and used the servers main IP's would that be ok? or should I use the default "common" IP?

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it's acceptable to use the main shared IP address as the IP for your name servers. As long as you register the name servers at your domain registrar with that IP address, and the "A" records on the cPanel server for your name servers are added for that IP, the setup will be successful.

Thank you.

10. luigidelgado

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

OK sorry for this but I didn't make my self that clear... My DC gave me one IP for the server and [x] IP's for the crowd, one of those is the main shared IP. I mean, I have "A" main IP for the server and I have "B" as the main shared IP for the crowd, and "B+1, B+2, B+3, etc" IPs.

In my special case (maybe), should I use the "A" main server IP or the "B" main shared IP?

11. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use either IP that you would like to use. It doesn't matter what IP is used for a nameserver so long as that IP is bound to the machine and a frontend IP address.

12. luigidelgado

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Excelent. Thanks Tristan