The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whm not configuring dns records right?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by indiboi, Feb 13, 2002.

1. indiboi

indiboi Well-Known Member

i've received several &unexpected eol& errors and some &bad dotted quad& errors for recently created accounts...

I've been able to correct most all by deleting the zone and readding it.... however one of them refuses to work properly and upon addition of subdomains receives this error:

&sub.domain.com could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!&

whereas all other accounts seeminly can add without a problem.

What's wrong?

2. brianteeter

brianteeter Well-Known Member

Bingo - same problem.

[quote:2b8e4e4bed][i:2b8e4e4bed]Originally posted by indiboi[/i:2b8e4e4bed]

i've received several &unexpected eol& errors and some &bad dotted quad& errors for recently created accounts...

I've been able to correct most all by deleting the zone and readding it.... however one of them refuses to work properly and upon addition of subdomains receives this error:

&sub.domain.com could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!&

whereas all other accounts seeminly can add without a problem.

What's wrong?

[/quote:2b8e4e4bed]

I'm experiencing the same exact problem. WHM never creates new accounts correctly in the DNS. They are always wrong, so I delete them and recreate them and then they are fine. Also, I have a user who cannot create subdomains. The DNS record is correct, I can nslookup any subdomain on their account successfully, on that server or others, but CPanel just refuses to create the subdomains. I get the exact same error message.

Anyone who can help I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks - Brian

3. indiboi

What I had to do...

Edit /etc/named.conf to remove all references to the DNS zone

delete the zone records

change the domain name temporarily and then back again...

WHM had totally botched the DNS records... put spaces and periods all through the named.conf where they shouldn't have been...

after totally removing all references to the zone in the named.conf and in /var/named I was able to recreate everything correctly...

It might have worked by totally deleting the account and starting over, but this was not feasible.

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:06f54d90b9][i:06f54d90b9]Originally posted by indiboi[/i:06f54d90b9]

What I had to do...

Edit /etc/named.conf to remove all references to the DNS zone

delete the zone records

change the domain name temporarily and then back again...

WHM had totally botched the DNS records... put spaces and periods all through the named.conf where they shouldn't have been...

after totally removing all references to the zone in the named.conf and in /var/named I was able to recreate everything correctly...

It might have worked by totally deleting the account and starting over, but this was not feasible.[/quote:06f54d90b9]

Could you send me what your named.conf looked like.. You can use co to &undo& any changes to named.conf since cpanel uses rcs...

5. indiboi

well... it wasn't so much the named.conf...

the entries there looked basically normal except for the fact it was

domain.tld. db (with a space) versus without a space.... which of course was a problem.

the zone files in /var/named were the biggest problem; I don't have any of those left... but it was basically:

domain IN IN IN NS domain .

totally out of whack with normalcy...

i've not been able to reproduce the issue since updating whm/cpanel... but it occured on three domains that I either a) made changes to or b) added the new account.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using co and rcs...

All the changes I made were by hand in pico because at that point, 5 or so hours of dealing with it, I trusted myself more than the programs.

6. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:c09496d8a5][i:c09496d8a5]Originally posted by indiboi[/i:c09496d8a5]

well... it wasn't so much the named.conf...

the entries there looked basically normal except for the fact it was

domain.tld. db (with a space) versus without a space.... which of course was a problem.

the zone files in /var/named were the biggest problem; I don't have any of those left... but it was basically:

domain IN IN IN NS domain .

totally out of whack with normalcy...

i've not been able to reproduce the issue since updating whm/cpanel... but it occured on three domains that I either a) made changes to or b) added the new account.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using co and rcs...

All the changes I made were by hand in pico because at that point, 5 or so hours of dealing with it, I trusted myself more than the programs.[/quote:c09496d8a5]

Really strange (side note being nothing has changed with the dns functions recently) ... was this happening with all zone files ?

7. indiboi

In restrospect I should have saved some of the record files... but I was too much in a &AHH!!! I have to fix this!!& mentality.

It only happened with three files... but that included the last three I added or otherwise changed DNS for.

...Did you perhaps change anything with the wwwacct form in regards to adding spaces at the end of the domains?

8. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:8f5d7166e4][i:8f5d7166e4]Originally posted by indiboi[/i:8f5d7166e4]

In restrospect I should have saved some of the record files... but I was too much in a &AHH!!! I have to fix this!!& mentality.

It only happened with three files... but that included the last three I added or otherwise changed DNS for.

...Did you perhaps change anything with the wwwacct form in regards to adding spaces at the end of the domains?

[/quote:8f5d7166e4]

Nope

9. indiboi

strange... oh well... if it happens again, i'll make a copy of the affected files for you.

10. jumpdomain

jumpdomain Well-Known Member

This happens if you create a new account in WHM and leave a white space after the domain name.

11. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

WHM also does something incredibly strange to records when moving files between servers, but apparently only occurs if they have multiple subdomains. The SOA is recreated as the move script runs through each subdomain and appended to the end of the file. If for some reason the script runs across the &sub.domain.com cannot be created because it does not resolve to a valid IP&, it creates another SOA just for the domain itself. The end result is a very, very long zone file that has to manually edited. There doesn't seem to be a lot of harm in this manual editing, since the script also leaves the old IP address for all those subs which also has to be changed - something I would think it wouldn't do since it know the assignment of the new IP - but when you're moving several hundred accounts, that does get a little weird. Just an FYI to those who might be using the move script to doublecheck those zone files after running thourgh a move.

12. WeinBar

WeinBar Well-Known Member

[quote:f56539e890][i:f56539e890]Originally posted by Annette[/i:f56539e890]

WHM also does something incredibly strange to records when moving files between servers, but apparently only occurs if they have multiple subdomains. The SOA is recreated as the move script runs through each subdomain and appended to the end of the file. If for some reason the script runs across the &sub.domain.com cannot be created because it does not resolve to a valid IP&, it creates another SOA just for the domain itself. The end result is a very, very long zone file that has to manually edited. There doesn't seem to be a lot of harm in this manual editing, since the script also leaves the old IP address for all those subs which also has to be changed - something I would think it wouldn't do since it know the assignment of the new IP - but when you're moving several hundred accounts, that does get a little weird. Just an FYI to those who might be using the move script to doublecheck those zone files after running thourgh a move.[/quote:f56539e890]

Agreed Annette:

I just forgot to post that one! Other than that, the move script has been going exceptionally well. Also, one other bug that I have found - if the user has multiple ftp accounts, they do not get moved and manually have to be moved. Also, those permissions get shot. Once they are moved, they are physically there, but the ftp user cannot upload to their subdirectory.

13. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:0c0b390d01][i:0c0b390d01]Originally posted by Annette[/i:0c0b390d01]

WHM also does something incredibly strange to records when moving files between servers, but apparently only occurs if they have multiple subdomains. The SOA is recreated as the move script runs through each subdomain and appended to the end of the file. If for some reason the script runs across the &sub.domain.com cannot be created because it does not resolve to a valid IP&, it creates another SOA just for the domain itself. The end result is a very, very long zone file that has to manually edited. There doesn't seem to be a lot of harm in this manual editing, since the script also leaves the old IP address for all those subs which also has to be changed - something I would think it wouldn't do since it know the assignment of the new IP - but when you're moving several hundred accounts, that does get a little weird. Just an FYI to those who might be using the move script to doublecheck those zone files after running thourgh a move.[/quote:0c0b390d01]

Annette,
    If it isn't too much trouble could you submit a bug report for this one?
    Thanks

14. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Surely.

And done.

15. alareach

alareach Well-Known Member

fixed yet?

Has this been fixed yet?
    I am ready to move a bunch of accounts

16. appx

appx Registered

Could someone post some samples? Or examples of correct records.

Also the actual script used for dns creation seems to be the problem. Has anyone wokred out where in the script the errors lie?