The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM not loading - changed main server ip address ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eva2000, Dec 16, 2011.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure where you look to fix this as I never came across this before. Client grabbed 2x 15 day trial WHM licenses which will be later updated to paid ones.

• Ubuntu old server = non-whm based ip address = ipold
    • RHEL 6.2 new server = whm based ip address = ipnew

1. installed trial WHM license on new server at ip address = ipnew all setup and working fine
    2. now client wants to keep the old ip address, so he powered down both machines and switched the ip addresses so that new server whm based has the old server ip address = ipold and registered a 2nd trial WHM license with ipold ip address

Problem
    problem is now the new server won't load WHM on port 2086/2087 for only me i.e. ipold:2086/2087 won't work for me, but works for my client ?

1. when i access ipold:2086/2087
      i get could not connect
    2. when i access ip address direct at ipold i get redirected to
      ipold/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi
    3. when i ping ipold from my pc or my other web servers i get timed out responses
    4. but when i ping from ipold server or ipnew server it's fine
    5. I stopped csf and iptables isn't running
    6. but i can access ipold server via ssh2 telnet
    -----
    I got the client who has access to WHM on ipold/whm to change main shared ip and site ip to the old ip address and verified the following locations have the updated ipold ip address on the RHEL 6.2 server:

• /etc/sysconfig/network
    • /var/cpanel/users/username
    • /var/cpanel/userdata/username/domainname.net
    • /var/named/domainname.net.db
    • /usr/local/apache/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

So what am I missing that isn't allowing me to load WHM but allows my client to ?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you please have your client use the WHM > IP Migration Wizard to properly change the IP either to the old IP or the new IP? The proper way to change WHM's IP address would be using that area.

You do appear to be cached in some way, so once the proper method has been used to update the IP to either the old or new one, then if you are still having issues, try using another system or clearing the cache on your system to access it (Clearing Your DNS Cache)

3. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thanks Tristan did try clearing DNS cache method didn't work, but ended up just adding a 2nd ip for a 2nd change of WHM main ip to this ip address as shared ip and using old ip as dedicated. Then fixed everything up and can get access back to WHM via the 2nd ip added.