The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whm options severly limited at last two hosts compared too...

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by albaby, Apr 26, 2005.

1. albaby

albaby Member

Hi,

My last two reseller hosts, the quite horrible www.Vortechhosting.com and their denials and lies about cPanel being a security nitemare (much discussed in another cpanel related thread) and the quite good and highly reccomended www.site5.com, I signed up SO FAST with, to get away from Vortech, both have these highly limited and circumspec WHM's. Meaning more than 1/2 of the options arent there.

I also host with Liquidweb, a FINE FINE provider whom I NEVER should of left (for vortechhosting) Their WHM has 27 sections of options on the left when logged in, site5 and vorteching have only 11/12 sections, respectively, why is this?

Im baffled as to why the radical difference in WHM's between these three providers? Anyone know why?

2. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

well, your reseller can change your whm feature sets and disable some features. Here are all the options (root).

Regards,
    Brent

3. albaby

albaby Member

Why does more than half seem a bit much to me?

4. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

well, the apf config thing is a custom module i coded and most of the other options i dont even use.

Regards,
    Brent

5. albaby

albaby Member

I dont understand you reply? Im simply saying that having all these GREAT Whm options at LiquidWeb, then being with a host with a HIGHLY chopped version of WHM is quite strange??? I mean, more than half the options arent there in Site5's and Vortechtech-Rip-offs Whm?

6. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

I guess, if you want total control and all the options of WHM then you gotta get a dedicated server.
    just my 2 cents ;)

7. albaby

albaby Member

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, it's simply up to the hosting provider as to what options they offer. the only people who can answer why are your hosts.

9. sleddog

sleddog Active Member

I probably has to do with having WHM root access vs. reseller access. Site5 provides reseller accounts.

10. pirania1

pirania1 Well-Known Member

VDS is not a same thing as regular reseller, so you can't compare it.

Question is what you actually need. True soo many options.. How many of them will you ACTUALLY use?

11. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Well, as reseller providers we do NOT want our customers to have access to many of the WHM functions.

For example, if we give them access to the "edit DNS" or other DNS areas, then this will make our lives much more difficult because now we must fix and resolve stupid issues where customer has deleted their DNS or pointed A records to something else, or who knows what other clever ways they have to screw things up.

So for us, it is a SUPPORT reason why we choose to disable most of the WHM functions.

I *WISH* we could disable the "feature manager" system in WHM. That is our #1 problem right now for support tickets.

If an experienced reseller asks for certain functions to be enabled, then we will. But, by default, we disable just about everything possible except to create/remove/edit packages and accounts.

CPANEL STAFF - how about adding the ability to turn off the whm feature manager links? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

12. Tapan

Tapan Well-Known Member

Hi,

I think you have purchased a VPS which is not reseller hosting pack. And i think you are getting a VPS without root access...check http://www.rackforce.com they provide VPS the same thing you're getting but with full control. You get root access all WHM and stuff.

Thanks

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

14. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Blah. I have very little belief that this feature will ever find its way into cpanel.

:rolleyes:

There are feature requests and bugs I submitted from 6 months ago that don't even have a response.

15. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Regardless, if you cannot be bothered to follow the procedure and post it on the forums for people to vote on, it certainly won't.

16. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member

Exactly. cPanel tends to pick and choose from the feature requests, and bug fixes (*) based on severity and then popularity via the voting system. If people aren't aware of such requests, they cannot vote on them. Bugzilla is rather large and show issues by number not by issue summary or topic, and I as a user dont have the time to view each request. If I see something in the forums regarding a request of such sort with a link to the Bugzilla entry, I will vote as I see fit, as others will do as well.

( * Bug fixes; Bugs that can be replicated in other cPanel installations and server set-ups )

17. x0v0x

x0v0x Member

This is kind of a Catch 22 for both the new user and the server pkg provider. Speaking from the new user's perspective, I have been having difficulty putting sites up w/ cPanel. I am currently transitioning to a new server account and actually have two different server accounts available this month, and both have different cPanel procedures and permissions.

My only reason for leaving the convenience of shared hosting is financial. I have over 100 domains, (and 100+ to follow), that I want to put up and @ a min of $3.95/mo each, that's approx $5,000/ yr per 100 sites. Because I am "growing" sites (ie SEO, dev), my current space and BW needs are minimal and buying dedicated space and doing my own management is the best avenue to take, IMHO.

Frankly, after taking a tut or two, reading up on cPanel, and coming here for research and to post questions, I thought that implementing my plans would come a bit more easily. Prob is, while taking the tuts and beginning to ask questions, I learned that I was not working w/ a full deck and when going to the next step, per instructions, I was not finding the files, (priveleges), I needed to continue. When you are new to the game and don't know what the full deck is supposed to look like, the process can become confusing, frustrating and counter-productive, at least for the short term.

Specifically, my probs and confusion currently center around what should be the most basic of procedures- putting sites up on the w w w. Server admin #1, (who I am leaving), hasn't given me access to WHM>Account Functions>Add Account and is adamant about using AddOn Domains to put sites up. Server # 2, (w/ whom I opened an acct w/ yesterday), set-up my first acct, I easily put up an /index.html page which resolves, but when I went to add accts, (domains/sites), I found that WHM was nowhere to be found in my cPanel and the AddOn Domains shows 0/0 and, therefore, I don't have priveleges to use this function. (BTW, I believe this will be resolved shortly, but wanted to use this to illustrate the conundrum that a new, inexperienced user can face.)

The upshot is, that despite my continued efforts, I still am not achieving my goal of putting up sites, and am feeling somewhat like the boxer who is inside of a bag and is trying to punch himself out to see some daylight. I'm new and don't wish to appear presumptuous, but perhaps cPanel could establish a course for new users that would lead up to some step by step, real life, procedures on their real life server and/or create a certification system that could train the newbie and appease the provider. My2c

#17 x0v0x, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  18. gorilla

If you have more then a hundred hosting clients it really would be a good Idea to get yourself your own dedicated server instead of beeing at the mercy of somebody else :)
    Then you'll have all the control you need to run and grow your business !

19. x0v0x

x0v0x Member

Couldn't agree more, and that is my plan. I was hoping to *gradually* move into my own server after this interim step in which I *projected* that I would be learning the system and "growing" some domains ie begin w/ 10-15, add 20- add 20 - etc. I thought that going out, buying a physical server, and setting up from scratch was a bit premature and might create too much overload. I also thought that by buying/sharing server space, that I would be helped rather than hindered in my learning process. I'm going to put in some serious thought today about setting up an account where I will have full control, but that will entail more research on what to look for as well as learning to discern the good guys from the bad guys. Again, I thought the whole process would have been a bit more turn-key, or at least straight
    forward..

Oops misread/misunderstood
    These are my own domains, not domains of clients. My immediate plans are not to provide hosting, (I can/would do that through my eNom reseller acct, at present). The server space is strictly for my own domains.

#19 x0v0x, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  20. gorilla

You Dont need to do colocation and spend the cash to build your server, you can just start with renting a dedicated server, there are some good companies out there, where you can get a good box with all the bells and whistles for 150-200 a month. Or you could even go for the value servers for under 100 and build from there and when you are ready you can always start purchasing your hardware and software separate and do colocation ;)
    But keep in mind that nowadays datacenters are providing good basic support and combined with the cPanel forum you'll be fine :D