The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADONIS_, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ADONIS_

ADONIS_ Registered

Hello guys,

I have a question and I would like help please.

I am on a dedicated server plan ( around 300 dollars per month ) and I noticed that I don't have Tweak Settings on WHM. I contacted my hosting company and they said that Tweak Settings features are in Root Access and they told me that if I gain Root Access they will charge me $120 /hour for any mistakes.

My question is, is my hosting company cheating me? or they are correct that WHM Tweak Settings are only in Root Access?

Can you please help me to clarify this question?

Thank you

2. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, that depends whether your contract for your dedicated server says it provides root level access or not. Normally when paying for a dedicated server you'll have 100% access (root) but on some managed services (where the company look after the server for you) this isn't the case to prevent user error.

What sounds the case is that currently you're logging into WHM using a reseller account (rather than with the username root) and that the company are willing to let you login as root, but will charge you for any damage you make to the server which they than have to correct. This is normal in the terms and conditions of a managed service. It would also be possible for them to grant your reseller user root permissions to WHM if you are indeed currently logging in this way.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    IMHO, restricting your access for 300 a month is nuts, I want full root access for that kind of money.

Tweak Settings access can be given to a Reseller along with several other Features, root has access to all Features and tools in WHM.

4. ADONIS_

ADONIS_ Registered

But for $300 per month, and they have me as a reseller and not as the owner of the server? I am confused!

5. ADONIS_

ADONIS_ Registered

In that case, why they told me that they can only give me Tweak settings access only as a root? something is suspicious am I right? are they giving me what I payed for, or I am being robbed?

6. ADONIS_

ADONIS_ Registered

So, what do you advice me to do? Ask my host to give me Tweak Settings access as a reseller? is that possible? and then why they said that it can only be done as root access? Do I have to ask for a refund?

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are paying $300 a month for a dedicated machine, you would likely expect to have root level access on that machine. Otherwise, it is up to you how to proceed. Many dedicated plans with full root access are lower than $300 a month, although it certainly depends on the specs of the machine, bandwidth, and so forth.