The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM random invalid login

Discussion in 'Security' started by rainecc, Jan 8, 2013.

1. rainecc

rainecc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since the upgrade to WHM 11.34.1 build 6 I have been having random login failures, sometimes for extended periods of time (several hours) and sometimes for only a few minutes.

I can be logged in and actively using whm and I get an "invalid login" dialog with a prompt to log in again. Typing in the login details and password (correctly of course) results in further "invalid login" messages for some random period.

I have cleared cookies and browser cache. I have tried two different computers and a number of different browsers (safari PC, safari Mac, IE PC, Firefox 18, Chrome Canary and Opera) with the same results. It does not seem to be the browser.

I am a web developer and fairly experienced in this stuff, but I have not looked at whm in any detail.

Any advise on what I can do to diagnose this further would be very welcome. I have root access to the server.

2. rainecc

rainecc Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Further information

Adding my client IP address into the cPHulk whitelist prevents this from occurring (thanks, Kieran Alen from eukhost support for spotting this).

Not sure why cPHulk was intervening, as there did not seem to be any entries in the web-visible logs. Is there a local log file on disk that holds information about cPHulk decisions?

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cphulk logs to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cphulkd.log and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cphulkd_errors.log

The behavior you are describing is rather odd. I suggest if/when it occurs again that you open a support ticket with us. This would allow us to determine whether there is a problem with our software, or perhaps a configuration error (suggesting that our documentation and UI need improved).