The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM Remote backup to a Windows PC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djoverho, Jan 6, 2004.

1. djoverho

djoverho Active Member

Hi, I'm trying to setup a pc at my home to be used as a backup for a couple of our servers. My home pc has Windows 2000 on it and the servers have RH9 with WHM. In setting up via the WhM Configure Backup option, I'm getting stuck on the backup destination. In testing this I just created a folder on my c: drive called backups, so for the destination I put in C:\backups along with the ftp address, username, and password and when I try to save it I get this:

c:/backups is not a directory..
    Backup has been disabled to prevent file loss..

Any ideas? Does this feature not work with a windows machine? Thanks in advance.

2. plake

plake Active Member

If you are trying to setup an FTP backup folder on your win2k box then you need to make sure some type of FTP server is running..

I would recommend for windows, using bulletproof FTP server....

create an acct called backup

point it at that directory, give list,read,write and if you want append permissions

make sure you setup the username/pass

that should do it for you...

3. djoverho

djoverho Active Member

Yeah, I have the ftp part running fine on my computer the problem is on the server it doesnt like put c:\backups in the destination..it seems to be thinking its on the local machine not the ftp location.

4. TheVoice

TheVoice Well-Known Member

you don't need it to save to C:\backups since it will use directory that you set your ftpserver to.