The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM System Status Server Load Alert Question

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by WooshData, Jul 28, 2014.

1. WooshData

WooshData Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello and thanks for your time.

My server has 4 dual core processors so WHM under System Status shows for Server Load a value currently of 0.51 (8 CPUs).

I understand CPU load, where if I had 1 core and the value was 1 it would be at 100% utilization. Now .7 and below would be ideal, but still it isn't terrible. So with 8 threads I would think my concern for server load would be at around 7.7. However, WHM during some higher processing times will show a red exclamation ! circle icon when above a certain threshold.

For example it has gotten above 2 before and it went red.

Can someone please help me understand the reason why WHM perceives this as high when the actual CPU count is 8? Even if you looked at server load by core count (4) it still wouldnt be something to worry about imo. Especially when the 5 and 15 times are ok.

Again, I appreciate any responses that could shed light on this for me. I have a large ecommerce client and I do want to make sure my server health and best practices are in order. My Linux understand and WHM on this topic are not mixing. :)

Charlie Harper

2. WooshData

WooshData Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    UPDATE

My server crossed over the 1 "Server Load" threshold, for less than a minute, to 1.4. This made the little red exclamation sign come up.

Load Averages: 0.27 0.46 0.61 is now the current level.

Is there a setting in WHM to make it scream at a higher level than 1 when you have more than one core?

I also should point out that this is running on a Xen system on a dedicated server that I have full control over. When this icon showed up i checked the performance of the iron and its load was at 0.7.

Thanks

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This setting (above which you see the red symbol) is the Critical load threshold in Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings, and you can change it to anything you consider acceptable. It is set low by default for low-power servers, so that they do not become heavily loaded or inaccessible without any warning.

You may find the following documentation helpful:

http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Tweak+Settings

4. WooshData

WooshData Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Jared,

Thank you so much. I am not sure how I missed that "Default" setting. I must have changed it to 1 at setup for some reason.

This makes me feel much better btw. I was confused and thinking what the heck am I missing here about the performance. It was making me uneasy.

Also, I had read that no matter what on a VPS server you should keep it under 1. But that was a blog post from like 3 years ago. I would assume things are smarter than that now.

You rock Jared!